Something wrong?

Montana,

Max load for the Nosler E-tip 180 using Retumbo is 97 grains, so you arent too far off. I got that load data from Nosler. 96 grains of Retumbo and 180 e tip gets me 3280 fps and 3/4" at 100 and 1" at 200 yrds.

180 gr Barnes TTSX with 93 gr of Retumbo. COAL at 3.600. That velocity is pretty much on par with Barnes load data, except they used a 24" barrel rather than 26" like the Sendero.

I tried 185 Bergers and got about the same velocity but instead of 1/2" groups they were 5" groups

Depends on the burn rate of your batch of Retumbo I've used as much as 99.5 grains, but the last Batch of Retumbo topped out at 96 grains and that is useing the TSX 180 grain bullet.

Work up carefully untill you hit about 3300 FPS

Montana,

Max load for the Nosler E-tip 180 using Retumbo is 97 grains, so you arent too far off. I got that load data from Nosler. 96 grains of Retumbo and 180 e tip gets me 3280 fps and 3/4" at 100 and 1" at 200 yrds.

Tayhot, what velocity is Nolser showing for 87 gr of Retumbo? On their site they list 96 gr of H1000 pushing a 180 gr bullet 3225. I'm sure that's out of a 24" barrel. Interesting... I can get very close to 3200 with 67.5 of RL17 out of a 24" 300 WSM. Anyway, I was getting about 3400 fps with H1000 and I think the load was a lot less than 96 gr. The H1000 seemed to pressure early in my rifle with those bullets for some reason.

Another thing to consider is your chrony might be off a little, but getting 3280 with 96 gr is in line with my 3400 with 97.5 gr.

With 97.5 gr of Retumbo pushing the E-Tips @ 3400, my best groups have been.... 212 yds .4", 331 yds 1.5", 427 yds 1.8" and 500 yds 3". I've only shot one group @ 500 and it was a little windy that day, maybe 5-10 mph. Actually it's been a little windy almost every day I've been out shooting. I believe a lot of that is the Sendero which shoots just about anything well. Those aren't BR winning groups, but they're well on the way of getting me to 1K. I haven't fooled around with seating depth and I think I can tweek the load a little better. I think bedding the recoil lug might help too.

I was shooting the E-Tips with 98.5 gr for a little while but it was giving me some pressure signs so I backed off.

Montana,

i emailed back and forth with the Nosler tech support guy and he said there testing with 97 gr of Retumbo was with a 26" barrel and not 24" That seems pretty accurate data if I'm getting 3280 with 96 gr compared to their 3300 with 97 gr.

I will try 97 gr and see if my accuracy stays the same. Only problem I have now is finding more Retumbo. Nobody has it here locally.

I shot a porquipine this morning with the load above and man was that som impressive damage. Atleast the parts that I found of it. 200yrd shot was dead on. gun)

As a rule, mono metal bullets will show pressure sooner than conventional bullets. Conventional load data should be used with caution. GS bullets are designed differently and run lower than normal pressure. You have to use faster powder than conventional to get the higher velocities that are expected. You should have seen a little note in the E-tip box warning about higher pressure.

Steve

Rocky MT, That must be why Nosler says to use the mid level charge as a max for the E-tip.

What kind of accuracy are you looking for at 100 - 200 yards for these long range shots. Out to lets say 700-800 yards.

As a rule, mono metal bullets will show pressure sooner than conventional bullets. Conventional load data should be used with caution. GS bullets are designed differently and run lower than normal pressure. You have to use faster powder than conventional to get the higher velocities that are expected. You should have seen a little note in the E-tip box warning about higher pressure.

Steve

That's true about the monometals. I spoke with a Nosler tech and he said when they reach max pressure, they pressure out very quick. When working up with RL17 and the 180 E-Tips, I was working up in 1 gr increments. When I got to 87 gr, I noticed a slightly stiff bolt lift and wasn't sure if it just might be the case. I figured going up another gr would be OK. That was a mistake. I got over 3500 on the chrony but I had to tap up the bolt with a plastic handle that I had on hand and it took a good bit of effort to extract it. When I did extract it, both the primer and the ejector fell out. I was done shooting for the day. Fortunately, I didn't hurt myself and the rifle only cost $25 to fix.

That being said, the E-Tips seem to get similar velocities as jacket bullets. But when they pressure out, they can spike very quick.

Work up carefully untill you hit about 3300 FPS

This is the very best advice I've read for these posts.

I have two 300 RUMS, one of them is a Remington Sendero, I have reloaded them
many times and working loads up to a hair over 3500 ft/sec using 180 gr. bullets.

Respecfully I advice to follow the above advice and do all your self a favor, anything over 3350 ft/sec you're asking for trouble when shooting 180 gr. in a 300 RUM.

If long range is what you're after, 180 gr. is not your best bet, look at 210 bergers or maybe 240 SMK.

Regards,

Last edited:
Eaglet,

I do want long range capability. For me thats out to 800 yards. Do you still reccomend the 210 Berger? If so what load data do you use

Tayhot,

My chrony(s) has shown about 3150-3200 with 95 gr of Retumbo pushing the 210 Bergers. If you do a search you'll find that 3150 is a fairly common velocity for that bullet out of the 300 RUM on this site, just as 3400 is fairly common for the 180 bullets. Typically, the velocity range for the 210 will be about 3100-3200 fps, with 3150 being very common. With the 180's 3300-3400 is the usuall range.

The 210's will get you a little farther down range that the 180's, but I choose the 180's for terminal performance and accuracy and in *my* rifle I have no pressure issues with 3400 fps with 3 different powders. My bolt works fine and my primer pockets are staying firm. Now that is in *my* rifle, and it does have a long throat. It's also been treated with Gun Juice, but I'm not sure that's given me more velocity. It may have?

If you're only looking to get to 800 yds, you can easily backoff which will give you longer barrel life and a little less recoil. a 180 bullet with a velocity of 3100 fps or a 210 bullet with a velocity of 2850 will both get you to 800 yds @ 1000' elevation. I can achieve this in my 300 WSM with a 24" barrel and a lot less powder.

There are a lot of bullets to choose from and a couple more popular ones are the 200 AB's and 208 AMax's, both with good BC's and very easy to get to 800 yds in a 300 RUM.

Eaglet,

I do want long range capability. For me thats out to 800 yards. Do you still reccomend the 210 Berger? If so what load data do you use

Tayhot,

My notes tell me that 97 gr. of Retumbo, 210 Berger, and CCI-250 primers in my
rifle will produce a muzzle velocity of 3170 ft/sec.

I have had that bullet just a tad over 3200 and in my factory Remington it's getting
pretty hot, my primers were very loose and had to get rid of the brass. I don't like
flirting with danger, how you think I have made it to 55 after reloading since I was 17? I leave that to more courageous folks...? This particular bullet I like keeping it between 3100 and 3150 ft/sec.

Right now I'm using 93.0 grains of Retumbo which produces 3023 ft/sec just because it is extremely accurate and untill I find the upper node I'll just be happy for now. This load I have shot it
at close to 1800 yards and you'll see kicking dust off the ground. Through binoculars that is. :)

MontanaRifleman does have a point, longer throat and a good Gun Juice treatment I don't doubt will make a difference, but that's not not case with most factory
Remington Rifles. My 300 Remington LSS and 300 RUM Sendero are pretty much alike when it comes to pressures.

The reason I like the 210 over the 180 is not so much because of it being flatter at
longer ranges, it's not the vertical adjustment that challenges me it's the wind,
and the 210 berger will help you better with that challenge.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.