Would you take the shot?

You get a big ATTA BOY!!! That's an easy choice. Just to play devils advocate I'll throw this out there. What about picking out a rock on the same ridge as the elk and at a similar distance but not right next to the elk and trying a practice shot or 2 to learn what the wind is doing? I still would not take the shot at the elk personally but a few of you guys on here might be capable.

You get a big ATTA BOY!!! That's an easy choice. Just to play devils advocate I'll throw this out there. What about picking out a rock on the same ridge as the elk and at a similar distance but not right next to the elk and trying a practice shot or 2 to learn what the wind is doing? I still would not take the shot at the elk personally but a few of you guys on here might be capable.

Good scenario, But with a 30 mph wind at that distance even after dialing in and getting a hit on a rock I would not switch to the elk and try it. Just a few mph variation in wind could make for a bad hit. Just ain't worth it to me. Now a few years ago we were able to close the gap to 511 yards for a shot at a bedded bull in 30 plus (peaked at 40) mph wind. We were also able to move and put the wind at 11:00 to us for the shot. We took it and my son put a 230 Berger right in the exact spot I told him. The bull kicked his legs forward and tossed his head back and was dead. Never stood up. But this was a lot closer shot and we stacked the wind to our favor as much as we could before we made the call to take it.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.