Which ballistic "APP" works the best for you

Which ballistic "APP" works the best for you

• Total voters
I like Darrell Holland's method. It is a system that is non specific to any caliber or outside system and doesn't rely on batteries that can fail in the field

I have used Shooter for several years with excellent results. Since its introduction, I have used the Gunwerks G7 RF for hunting, and Tactical sports(where applicable). While the APP programs are excellent and work very well for target excercises, I find that dealing with all the inputs makes them too slow and cumbersome for my LR hunting needs. I have tried most of the programs and have much preferred Shooter's user interface. It has proven to be a good tool for ELR rock busting/steel for shooting beyond the capabilities of the G7. I use it mostly for modeling loads. Tested out to 1300 yards, the output of Shooter matches the G7's and will produce accurate hits in the field where my hunting shots have not exceeded 1200 yards. I recently acquired the Sig 2400 and have been using the AB program because of the compatibility and additional capabilities. I'm glad AB cleaned up the program bugs as it was quite buggy when used with an IOS device. It appears these issues have been taken care of, and I now find myself preferring it to Shooter. While I have yet to put the 2400/AB though a full hunting season, testing out to 1300 yards has produced identical ballistic outputs/hits(within 1 click) to my Shooter/G7 set-up. I'm anxious to see how the Sig 2400/AB performs in the field this coming season.

I used to use Ballistic Standard edition, but the lack of software updates for new bullets has completely made it useless for me. I bought a Geoballistics weather meter and downloaded the BallisticARC app and have been using that system since this past spring and it works great. And, at around $80 it is probably the cheapest system out there.

Patagonia/Coldbore
Once it is loaded and you know the rules of the application it is easy and accurate. By the rules I mean there are pitfalls built in by the author that will disable the program to varying degrees. I had problems with getting Windows Mobile working with my Trimble Recon. I could not figure out what was wrong when I couldn't get the Recon unit to talk to my PC. In my frustration to get the two computers to talk to each other I copied some files and pasted them to my PC this action cut off the ability to allow the mobile unit to swap files that are allowed once you have them talking to each other. I think a better way to safeguard his intellectual property would be to simply throw up a flash screen that states, "this is not allowed", and send the user back to a starting point until he/she gets some help or figures out how to make the two platforms work together.
I did try to get some help from the author but didn't get much help in the way of steering me to the finish line. Just about all I got in the way of help was, "Refer to the Owners Manual".
I have my copy loaded on a PC running Windows 7 that is starting to show signs of crashing so now when I use the desk copy I hold my breath when I use it because in order to get another copy you have to turn in your first license in order to get a new license. I'm not sure if Windows 10 will even run it.
Bottom Line: I like the program, it meets my needs and then some. I guess I should have just kept my mouth shut.

StreloK Plus works well for me. I just wish they had it for a PC format so that I could resize, edit, and print my reticle files and compile them in a handy packet for field use.

I like StrelokPro largely because it has all my reticles in its library and the scope view with the yardage subtentions is very handy. I generate the scope view and take a screen shot then I just look up the gun/ammo combination in photo roll and don't have to worry what data I input last. I'm sure if I dove deep into ballistic AE I might appreciate the advanced features.

I like StrelokPro largely because it has all my reticles in its library and the scope view with the yardage subtentions is very handy. I generate the scope view and take a screen shot then I just look up the gun/ammo combination in photo roll and don't have to worry what data I input last. I'm sure if I dove deep into ballistic AE I might appreciate the advanced features.
Eh sorry for double post

I use Shooter. Simple, straight forward interface. I never shoot beyond 600 metres so have no idea what happens "way out there". I also have AB and Ballistic AE on my iPhone. BAE has a somewhat more complicated interface in my opinion. I have had Applied Ballistics since it first became available for iOS - was it 2014? Issues that were present back then are still there today! Also, they just can't seem to get the metric version to work properly. A bit weird given that it works perfectly in Shooter and AB evolved from Shooter as I understand it.

Cheers

Yes, you are right on the money. Shooter was Bryan Litz first commercial software, what happened between the developer and Litz I cannot tell, but he came up with AB later. And I too don't get how AB is still lacking with so many areas...like controlling the user input errors.

Lots of votes for Strelok but no comments about it. I've used it and like it, because it was decent and free. I rely on my KILO 2400 ABS now, that thing is unreal.
Yep, I'm like you. The StrelokPro has now taken a back seat to the Kilo 2400 ...thanks to Len's instructional video on how to program it. The manual was horrible.

WOW . Im still using NF Exball on a Palm 1 from ebay! But so far it and my Vector 4 havent let me down .. Im sure one day my Exball will crash on me. Then I will have to get modern like the rest of you guys!:)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.