Would you shoot this deer?

ew-biggie-007.jpg

Would you shoot this deer or consider leaving it for seed for more like him in the future
? No right or wrong answer. I realize it could be a trophy of a lifetime. Just wondering what others might consider?
I'd shoot it because the hunting season is after the rut and he's already bred !

Deer are like Frenchmen. screw and run. I'd have dropped it as well. I'm sure it had already 'freshened' quite a few doe.

I fondly remember my first trophy Mule Deer kill. He was busy 'spreading his seed, mounted on a doe and I waited until he was finished and dropped him on the spot. His copulation gave me plenty of time to get my aim and distance dialed in so it was a perfect kill shot.

Last thing that went through his mine was his experience with the doe and now he's hanging on the wall.

Died happy!

This. I have allowed a fair amount of deer like that one go and instead knocked down the weird 23" 2x2 bucks (or whatever oddity) to help out the genetics on our place. Like clockwork, the guys that hunted the neighbor's place would eventually shoot the deer I pass up (50% of time trespassing) and everything else that was young and had potential. We're talking 10-15 muleys per year.

BTW, I took care of that family of trespassers. They no longer come up here. The damage is still apparent after 10 years though. Unfortunately Fish and Game mismanagement + wolves have really taken their toll on my area since then.

Moral of the story: I regret not shooting a few of those nice deer when I know the antlers just ended up sitting behind the garage of those $#%&$% white trash idiots.

Probably don't want to know how you "took care of them", but good on ya!

No! But, once I get out of the way.....my wife darn sure would!! memtb
:)
Or she would be resting her rifle on your shoulder before you had a chance to move...

Don't get between a woman and deer, my mom has shot a few out from under me while I was a kid when dad was trying to get me a shot.

I'd most likely pass on them both. I'd need more to go on. One on the left is way too young, and the one on the right looks like a good herd builder. I'd keep hunting...

ew-biggie-007.jpg

Would you shoot this deer or consider leaving it for seed for more like him in the future
? No right or wrong answer. I realize it could be a trophy of a lifetime. Just wondering what others might consider?
I would think it depends on somebody's opportunity to get a deer like that if you see them all the time that it might not be so urgent for you it also depends is it the 1st day of the season or the last day of the season Khama doesn't it?

Shoot the left buck, he is probably not the contributer to the gene pool you want. Harvest him let the other go until he is a 5x5 or larger then start thinking about it.

"the only time you can have too much fuel is when you are on fire!"

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.