Would you pay $3000 for a factory Remington?

I ran across this video while trying to find any other information than the too often similar, standard feel good media reviews.

Listen carefully to what he says and how he say it. I did note in one of the other media reviews that Remington is covering these rifles with a 'Lifetime Warranty', which I did not take time to read.:(

Regards.

Lifetime Warranty with some places just means that you pay for 2 they give you 1
Then if it breaks the company isn't out anything ..you already paid for it!
And if it doesn't they are way ahead..But it's a no lose for them either way..

Lifetime Warranty with some places just means that you pay for 2 they give you 1
Then if it breaks the company isn't out anything ..you already paid for it!
And if it doesn't they are way ahead..But it's a no lose for them either way..

I'm aware of the function quite well. I was simply pointing it out since it adds to the overall cost of the rifle which everyone is taking issue with.

Remington is constantly bragging their their low-end 783's are getting sub-moa

I'm half considering buying one of these myself. A coworker who shoots almost nothing but Remington bought one to build off of. All he did was screw on a barrel (custom twist) and throw it in a Boyd's. Minus the scope (which wasn't much itself), he's got under $800 into it. It's his most accurate rifle. The trigger even got left in, we both feel it's better than any X-Mark we've tried.

I figure I should grab one before they go the way of the 788.

I'm half considering buying one of these myself. A coworker who shoots almost nothing but Remington bought one to build off of. All he did was screw on a barrel (custom twist) and throw it in a Boyd's. Minus the scope (which wasn't much itself), he's got under $800 into it. It's his most accurate rifle. The trigger even got left in, we both feel it's better than any X-Mark we've tried.

I figure I should grab one before they go the way of the 788.

That's what I did. Got a 783 in 308 for just such a project. It didn't shoot very well in it's original configuration anyhow. Put a Criterion barrel on it in 6.5x47. A Boyds stock, PT&G bottom metal, AI magazine and a EGW 20 moa rail along with a SWFA 3x15 scope. I even found a 2 piece tactical bolt knob on Ebay for it. The factory trigger was fair enough and as far as I know, nothing else is available. Actually, it all ended up being "not cheap". It shoots pretty good (about 1/2 moa) although I wouldn't confuse it with a high end gun. It likes 123 gr. Lapua scenars. We have a shooting range that once a month, you can shoot at 500 meters. It hits a 6" plate without any problems.

Now even though I bought a few parts and slapped them together and got the gun to shoot fair after looking for a load, I wouldn't call this a "Custom" gun anymore than I would call myself a expert shooter. Frankly, I'd like to see Remington Custom Shop back up their work with an accuracy guarantee with quality factory ammo. A bucket of brand parts doesn't necessarily translate into a good finished product.

No different than buying a $3,000 rifle from a sponsor here. Except Remington will probably get it to you quicker and have better service if something happens to it.

I remember a few years ago, everybody on here was saying how a $3,000 full custom rifle was overpriced and now those same builders are charging $6,000 for the same thing and everybody is ok with it...

There could be some truth to that. By all appearances, Remington people don't put their hands on the rifle which IMO, is a good thing. I'd like to know what part of the build is Sixsite and what part is Remington.

By all appearances, Remington people don't put their hands on the rifle which IMO, is a good thing. I'd like to know what part of the build is Sixsite and what part is Remington.

I posted a video above which shows Remington building these rifles. Remington does lay their hands on each of these rifles.

SixSite is a clothing designer and distributor run by the SEAL mentioned in the video. It's their camouflage which is painted on these stocks. It's their logo which is laser engraved on the floor plate. They don't build anything.

Model 700 SIXSITE Edition

Classic Series Rifl… Model 700

Model 700 SIXSITE Edition
Description:
The Custom 700 SIXSITE Edition is an exciting collaboration between the Remington Custom Shop and SIXSITE Gear. It is built to exacting specifications on a blueprinted stainless 700 action and complimented with a premium stainless barrel in the caliber of your choice. The barreled action is fully bedded to a high quality carbon fiber stock made by A.G. Composites. The stock features a custom hand painted cerakote paint job in the SIXSITE (RANA) pattern camouflage which was developed to blend organic textures and digital elements. The result is an extremely versatile and innovative pattern.

Features:

• 700 Stainless Steel Blue Printed Receiver (Remington)
• Premium SS Button Rifled, Hand Lapped & Air Gauged Barrel (Remington)
• Carbon Fiber Stock by A.G. Composites (a major manufacturer of CF stocks
• Custom Cerakote, SIXSITE (Rana Pattern) Hand Painted by Scalpel Arms
• Cerakote on all Metal Components – Copper
• SS BDL bottom mental(?) w/ SIXSITE Logo
• Remington Custom 40X Trigger (Remington)
• Skip Fluting on Bolt and Barrel (unsure of provider)
• Rifle fully bedded using Marine Tex (Remington)
• Custom Bipod Rail w/ Q.D. Cup
• Badger Ordnance – 20 MOA Scope Rail (Badger Ordnance supplier)
• Threaded Muzzle w/ Thread Protector (Remington)
• Available in right & left hand configurations
• Call the Custom Shop for available upgrades

STARTING AT $3,29500 MSRP

Any rifle supplied by Remington to the military has to meet or beat the contractual parameters set down by the requesting service. This is laid out in a huge document created for the suppliers and the competition for the contract.

Regards.

• Premium SS Button Rifled, Hand Lapped & Air Gauged Barrel (Remington)

sable, where did you get the info that Remington was doing the barrel? Youtube vid at NRAAM 2018 says the Remington Custom Shop is using Shilen barrels on their custom rim fires. They then cover the SixSite rifle but just call it a premium button rifled barrel.

In video below:
At 4:40 - Says the rim firs are Shilen
At 11:28 - says the SixSite is a premium button rifled barrel. He makes no mention of the manufacturer.

Since Remington is saying "Air Gauged". I'm thinking they may be using Shilen barrels on the SixSite also.

I have a Shilen on a Savage that I like a lot.

Since Remington is saying "Air Gauged". I'm thinking they may be using Shilen barrels on the SixSite also.

'Air Gauged' could be Douglas barrels also since they used that phrase in all of their advertising as well.

It's possible although the last conversation I had with Remington, they were producing other types of barrels in house besides the hammer forged versions. This came about when they needed 5R barrels a few years ago and had to use an outside supplier. They decided rather quickly that they could make the same barrels in house cheaper than buying from an outside resource. This is what leads me to think that Remington has stayed in house for the barrels.

Don't forget that Remington has a substantial 'lab' which exists just to develop new technology or new uses for older technology. Some of the ideas they have generated are fascinating in the very least. Developing their own button and cut-rifled barrels is not a surprise to me at all. Not everything Remington sells has to be a million part program. Some programs such as this can be smaller in scale where the more expensive components can be allowed to shine.

This is not to say that this program doesn't use Shilen barrels, it might be. Personally, I believe that Remington could do a lot better than Shilen for a premium priced rifle. And since they mention the other component manufacturers, why not Shilen if it's supposed to be such a big draw?

Regards.

'Air Gauged' could be Douglas barrels also since they used that phrase in all of their advertising as well.

It's possible although the last conversation I had with Remington, they were producing other types of barrels in house besides the hammer forged versions. This came about when they needed 5R barrels a few years ago and had to use an outside supplier. They decided rather quickly that they could make the same barrels in house cheaper than buying from an outside resource. This is what leads me to think that Remington has stayed in house for the barrels.

Don't forget that Remington has a substantial 'lab' which exists just to develop new technology or new uses for older technology. Some of the ideas they have generated are fascinating in the very least. Developing their own button and cut-rifled barrels is not a surprise to me at all. Not everything Remington sells has to be a million part program. Some programs such as this can be smaller in scale where the more expensive components can be allowed to shine.

This is not to say that this program doesn't use Shilen barrels, it might be. Personally, I believe that Remington could do a lot better than Shilen for a premium priced rifle. And since they mention the other component manufacturers, why not Shilen if it's supposed to be such a big draw?

Regards.
I was just fixing to say that. They've been using that advertising phrase for decades. Their "XX-Premium Air-Gauged Barrels".

Or that they wanted to leave us with the impression that they were outsourcing because most of us would turn our noses up at the mention of Remington producing a quality barrel. They have made some excellent runs of fine barrels in the past but we find it easier to think only of the hammer stuff foisted off on the general public.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.