Which Factory 300 would you pick?

MH WASH

I'm in the market for a 300. I have a few very specific requirements for this rifle.

Stainless
Very close to 7#
Floorplate.
$1000ish

Here's my short list.

Winchester Extreme Weather
Christensen Arms Mesa
Montana X2
Remington American Wilderness
Weatherby Back Counrty (cerakote, not stainless)

Thoughts

The Montana, but it's a little more "ish" than $1000. Helped a friend with a load for his 300RUM Montana, it shoots outstanding. Nice trigger, 26" barrel and loaded at mag length. I had experience with two of your other choices, but they didn't compare.

I was at Sportsmans warehouse the other day and I fell for the Remington wilderness. Thought about selling my sendero to pick one up, but found a good deal on a Tikka that I couldn't pass up. I'll probably pick up one of the wilderness next year.

Weatherby all the way for me. Although you could choose from 300wsm,300win.,or the .300 weath. in the vanguard options that shoot lights out. ctw

Out of those, the weatherby in 300WM. I like the 300wby but the factory ammo and brass cost is a major deterrent for me. 300WM all the way.

I'll throw a curve ball out there and give you an idea that's not on your list to check out. Savage 116 bear hunter.

NONE....for a hunting rifle that gets thrown around, beat up, rained/snowed on everyday and god knows what else I'd save $600.00 dollars and buy a T/C icon/venture...and it'll kill every animal just as dead as any of those listed above without question, unless your planning on eye shooting one at 300 this little plain Jane junker will be perfect and it's accuracy may surprise you. And the come in300 Winny and I think 338 mag...nothing more is needed..

I'm in the market for a 300. I have a few very specific requirements for this rifle.

Stainless
Very close to 7#
Floorplate.
$1000ish

Here's my short list.

Winchester Extreme Weather

Christensen Arms Mesa
Montana X2
Remington American Wilderness
Weatherby Back Counrty (cerakote, not stainless)

Looks like a good lineup, a couple things to consider would be barrel length and planned bullet weight.
If you go with a long action 300 make darn sure you get a 26 inch barrel, if you're set on a 24" barrel then the 300 short mag will work much better.
Also if you plan on shooting long heavy vld type bullets then make sure the magazine length will allow you to seat the bullets out a bit.
Of course this is all assuming you plan to shoot at long range. One more awesome cheap contender would be a tikka in 300 wsm. Weighs about a pound less than the other options and will probably shoot as good or better..

Thoughts
good luck

I'd give the tikka t3 a look... I just had my 270 out today and she was dumping .3 to .4 moa groups. I doubt the rifle weighs 8# scoped.

I've had a couple Tikkas, and I know they're good shooters, but they're not for me. They're just a little too light for me, and I do not care for a detachable magazine.

I'll throw a curve ball out there and give you an idea that's not on your list to check out. Savage 116 bear hunter.

IMO Bear hunter good looking rifle but 300wm performance will suffer from 21" barrel.

In savage line long range hunter is good choice
Remington American Wilderness Rifle
Tikka t3x with B&C stock
Howa 1500 300wm cerakote barreled action combined with HS precision stock
Bergara B14

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.