which of these calibers would you pick?

Elkwonder

OK, so I must admit I have a real thing for Kimber rifles. I have sold a lot of different rifles and replaced them with Kimbers. I currently have a 22-250, 25-06, and 280AI.
I want to get a final Kimber that will finish my battery. I want something to use when my 280AI isn't quite big enough. It will be my Bear, Elk and Moose gun. I reload, so please keep that in mind.
The calibers I have in mind are ...
30-06 pushing 220 grain bullets
300 WM pushing whatever
300 WSM pushing whatever

These calibers I can buy in a normal Kimber chambering.

The other option is to pick up a donor and have it re-barreled to
338-06 or 35 whelen.

I am not a fan of really heavy recoil, but this gun will not be shot a ton, so as long as I don't get to carried away, I should be OK. NO 338 WM...lol

What would be your thoughts? Feel free to recommend another caliber that I may be missing. Would the 30-06 with modern 220 grain loads be enough?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I'd like the 300 WSM. Thought about getting one. May still get it one day.

My Kimber collection:
Ultra CDP II .45 ACP with thin rosewood grips by Esmeralda and a mag well I cut down and "melted" myself.
84M Pro Varmint .22-250 Rem with Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40mm Adj. Obj. with Varmint Hunters reticle
84L Classic Select Grade .25-06 Rem with Leupold VX-3L 4.5-14x50mm with Boone & Crockett reticle

IMG_0648a_zps050a91e7.jpg

The 30-06 with 220 gr bullets isn't a very good choice. That's a super heavy for caliber bullet.

I'd go with the 300 Win Mag.

if you don't like recoil, I would save your pennies. All of those rounds aren't light recoiling chamberings. The 30-06 would be your best bet, but I don't see enough benefit in energy over the 280 Ackley. There is nothing wrong with 220 grain bullets from an 06 but for long range work I would go 170-180.

You never said how far you would be shooting the big stuff so that might make a difference in your selection.

The 30-06 is a good one and you can use 180-200 grain premium bullets to give you a bit more range and still get good performance on larger animals. Either of the .300's take your pick they are pretty close performance wise and recoil wise so flip a coin. I have a 35 Whelen and one of my hunting buddies has a 338-06 and for the most part they quite similar, mine makes a bit bigger hole and his has a better BC and SD and a better selection of bullets just due to .338 being common and popular when game gets bigger and for reaching way out and bringing the thunder when it hits home in the 338 mags. Same thing though with the 300's flip a coin either or works well.

The bullets and powders we have today have changed everything around from years ago so you can't really go wrong if you suit the cartridge and the loads for your needs.

If you are not bothered by recoil in a 300 mag than the 338-06 or 35 Whelen won't bother you either.

If you are planning on reaching out 300 mag if you are shooting your game at moderate ranges one of the others would also serve you well.

sorry for not being more clear guys. probably 300 yards would be my max for this particular gun. Thanks

I have a 280ai, and I would love to have a 35 Whelen to go with it.

I do have a 300 wm, and as a matter of fact loaded it with 220 grain Partitions for last years hunt. Having that, it'd be hard to justify a 35 Whelen, but that doesn't mean I still don't want one. :D

The 220 grain bullets in the 30-06 produce great terminal results. I'm speaking more of the Partition and Coreloct, but don't consider those ideal for 300 yard. A good trade off is the 200, 210, or 215 grain weight bullets with a better profile. They will readily get you to 600 yards.

First, best choice, if your moving up, in my mind is 300 Winchester Magnum.

I found a great deal on a brand new Kimber Montana in 25-06. It will make the perfect donor rifle for a 338-06. Think I may have to go get it tomorrow and get a barrel on order. I like the thought of a nice 338-06 to round out the Battery......lol

I found a great deal on a brand new Kimber Montana in 25-06. It will make the perfect donor rifle for a 338-06.
My Kimber 25-06 may eventually get rebarrelled in 338-06 :D
I think when I get my 6.5 SS put together, the 25-06 won't see much use after that. But I'm hanging on to it because that action would be nice for a future build.

What's wrong with your 280 AI for elk, bear and moose. If your looking for an excuse then all cartridge would do. The 30-06 with a 180 partition is great round! The 300. Wsm and winny are awesome rounds as well. Little extra knock down power and Better range if you wanted to stretch her legs. But your 280 AI loaded with the 160 accubond for your 300 yard shots are awesome!!! Or loaded with the 168 or 180 vld's seem to be the ticket for a lot of others on here! I'd use the 280

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.