Would you pay $3000 for a factory Remington?

turn key rig, with a scope???? Seems like a fair deal that comes with a factory warranty. Glad to see that they're going back to what they're good at...

I have a Rem. Model 7MS .257 Roberts that was made in the custom shop when it was in Ilion, NY. I saw the rifle at the Shot Show when it was introduced. I don't remember the year but it's at least 15-18 years old. At the time one of my good friends was the Remington rep in upstate NY where we both live and he got it for me at his sample cost. I was 77 a few days ago so memory isn't always great but I believe I paid $750 for it. Today it's listed on their site in the neighborhood of $3,000 which is ludicrous. I can tell you it's a sweet little rifle that's smooth as silk and shoots under moa.

turn key rig, with a scope????.

Nothing mentioned about a scope.

I don't think anyone will argue it's a fine rifle. But like others have said: when that amount of money is involved I want to be able to pick more than just the chambering. At the heart of it you're still paying a load of cash for a 700 action.

morning, strange question. the rem. action has been modified
by action manufactures in the past. must b a very strong
action? to me the long bolt throw is the only drawn back.
the rem. 721-722 actions is my preference for rifle builds.
the weatherby mag. action is very special to me!!
justme gbot tum

morning, strange question. the rem. action has been modified
by action manufactures in the past. must b a very strong
action?

The Remington M700 series actions are all as strong as they need to be to build most variations of custom rifles, within reason. The greatest asset of these actions is the large selection of aftermarket parts and accessories. Previously, they usually needed some attention from a good gunsmith to true up the surfaces for accuracy enhancement. Other than that, they have been utilized for a wide variety of cartridges up to and even including the .338 Lapua from Remington. Yes, I know some of the naysayers will be along to impress us with their distrust of that combination but Remington is standing by it.

As an aside, I just examined another maker's action designed for the CheyTac cartridge and the 'ring of steel' around the rim and case head is just as thin as the Remington for the Lapua. This included an M16 extractor as well.

to me the long bolt throw is the only drawn back.

Interesting since I have never found myself at a disadvantage using any two lug system under any circumstances. This does not discount the fact that some folks will find a degree of comfort using a multi-lug system as opposed to two lug but I personally don't find it to be a problem for the situations I hunt and compete in.

Regards.

morning, sable, I have 7 rem. 721 long actions. did I say
I did not like the 2 lug actions?? NO I did not. on top of ur
answer I am left handed!! I shoot left handed, of all
of my smith builds there 9 rem. 721-722-700, 3 weatherby
actions 1 mauser, 1 Winchester, 2 left handed weapons!
various others. I was stating my opinion. there like lower
movements, everybodies got one. justme gbot tum

did I say
I did not like the 2 lug actions?? NO I did not.

No you did not, NOR DID I STATE YOU DIDN'T LIKE THEM.

to me the long bolt throw is the only drawn back.

This is what I quoted you as writing and what I responded to, only.

You did NOT mention the fact that you were left handed but I fail to see what bearing this has on the discussion from the OP.

As with being left handed, the number of actions you own or the number of rifles you shoot is superfluous.

I have always supported everyone's right to their own opinion and have stated as such on several occasions. But you getting upset with me over your own inability to read what has been written, can be a little uncomfortable. There is nothing more difficult than trying to write information down as completely and clearly as possible. Too many times there can misunderstandings because of wording or even punctuation. I try to do the best I can but sometimes even I screw up.:eek:;)

Have a great day!

I have a Rem. Model 7MS .257 Roberts that was made in the custom shop when it was in Ilion, NY. I saw the rifle at the Shot Show when it was introduced. I don't remember the year but it's at least 15-18 years old. At the time one of my good friends was the Remington rep in upstate NY where we both live and he got it for me at his sample cost. I was 77 a few days ago so memory isn't always great but I believe I paid $750 for it. Today it's listed on their site in the neighborhood of $3,000 which is ludicrous. I can tell you it's a sweet little rifle that's smooth as silk and shoots under moa.
I have two Model 700 Custom C grade rifles I've had for almost 40 years. I just looked and they are now listed for $3000 on the Remington website. Mine are nicer than the one pictured too. When I got them retail was under $500 for one. A standard BDL was under $200.

morning, the statement I made is not about a $3000
project, its about the rem. action. the older verisons
were in my opinion the best and strongest made
in this era of time. yes back in the day very few
actions were made left handed. and yes I prefer
right handed actions. YES I READ VERY WELLLLL.
ur statements were annoying!! that said. justme gbot tum

I'm fairly cautious of Remington's marketing dept. For some decades now, Remington Marketing Dept. and their Operations seem not to be aware of each others existence. "Custom Shop" may or may not put a custom gun in your hands. Heck, even a plain-jane Tikka can boast sub moa and their Operations can pretty much back it up.

As I recall, Remington hammer forges their barrels so apparently, they're outsourcing the barrels, which is probably a very good thing. Still, Remington is constantly bragging their their low-end 783's are getting sub-moa (not guaranteed but "implied") but with this rifle, you get a box that say's "custom".

I'd like to know it can shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.