World record group

Agree X's by 2

JE is free sharing, and what better shooting forum too share it on.

He brings firearms related stuff too the front, this is good since these related things are worth sharing.

I never knew nothing about Michael Stinnett till I read the post, then I used to world wide web too find out more of who he is and how he became a quality Marksman.

I'm sure he didn't just get out of bed one day and say too him self,,, "I'm going to go down too the range today and brake a 40 world record by at least a 1/3. Ha.

Michael has many many years under his belt, a wealth of knowledge, skills at shooting along with 100's of other talents I'm "guessing."

One would think that he had a Red Rider BB Gun being that he's from Texas, maybe he spends part of his time harvests game and practicing critter control.
Something in his life drove him too pursue his passions into the Firearm world since if offered him challenges like nothing else at the time.

He must of seen or read something about how too master Marksman skills, and he caught the bug,,, kinda like me when I was invited too a F Class shoot West of Calgary Alberta this spring.

My second trip down there told me that a small town country dude like me can do something like this.

What does this Michael Stinnett idea really do for me !!!

Any free time I have I spent it living in the cab of a half ton in the Rocky Mountain Range of our America's, even today these mountains live me,,, "these mountains live me is correct".

I just returned from these mountains of 4 days shooting, ranging, reloading in field, testing and learning more about me,,, purhaps this Michael along with others on this forum push our own limits of sorts.

JE put up this thread, as he mentioned, it's an idea that when we think it can't be done,,, someone comes along and changes the rules...

This weekend I enjoyed my outing with a new friend named Vick,,, he has his world match iron sights TR / Full Bore Lee Enfield Mark IIII chambered in 308 Service NATO.
Vick is well into his 80's as the hardest part of his day is getting up and down off the ground, Ha.
But when he's down there with rifle in sling by free hand at 900 meters,,, then the V rings are his with 60+ years of some might smoooooth hands.

That's all for tonight my friends as this Canadian has logged on some miles, I will dream about wizer skills too find my place as a Marksman,,, or should I say the Marksman that lives with in.

North of the 49th as our crops are turning golden brown, and the wild land Elk are now on the move.

Don

short range benchrest moved me into longrange shooting well that and varmit hunting, have not got into cell phone shooting yet, I will just stick with a spotter and walk them in. I shot last year with some cell phone shooters, they were shooting still out to 1600 although I was impressed at 1st then when I got home I started thinking one guy didn't even shoot he could not get his gun chronographed so he could use his apps on the phone. I jumped on the bench and walked my shots in and started bangin steel, so I went back over a month ago and actually went to the targets they was man sized I thought hell all I need is a factory gun to do this, I would have been more impressed if they was shooting clay pigeons at 750 to 1600 JMHO

Your confusing the desire of a cold bore shooter vs just getting a hit somehow kind of shooter, two different goals entirely!

short range benchrest moved me into longrange shooting well that and varmit hunting, have not got into cell phone shooting yet, I will just stick with a spotter and walk them in. I shot last year with some cell phone shooters, they were shooting still out to 1600 although I was impressed at 1st then when I got home I started thinking one guy didn't even shoot he could not get his gun chronographed so he could use his apps on the phone. I jumped on the bench and walked my shots in and started bangin steel, so I went back over a month ago and actually went to the targets they was man sized I thought hell all I need is a factory gun to do this, I would have been more impressed if they was shooting clay pigeons at 750 to 1600 JMHO

"Walking it in" doesn't work on elk, deer, or antelope at long range, and I'm not saying you do it, but it would be unethical to do it on big game. However, it is just fine on varmint. As B&G said, different goals. But, it is a way to work your skills up to cold bore hits. We all come from somewhere

That's interesting that you brought that up BTAS.

C Ganter from Western Canada was a cadet that took up winter time in-door shooting and short range Marksman-ship before joining the Canadian Armed Forces after World War II.

After his stint in the army he returned to civilian life as a auto mechanic then started to raise a family of his own.

He used his firearm skills too harvest game across North America and built up a business in auto repairs over the years,,, then he started working with young kids in cadets as he showed them how to handle firearms and too shot them with some kind of accuracy. Ha.

He had 20 rifles and 100's of young men too put threw the paces,,, even Carl needed to hone his own skills too be able too at least score higher than the folks he was training.

A young fellow told Carl that if he kept it up that maybe he could compete for the Queen's Plate at the World Full Bore / TR ( Target Rifle match in England,,, C Ganter went from average Joe shooter too ranking #219 in the world's match some time after 1982 if I recall.

This is our towns claim to fame since no other person with in our community has topped that record yet.

From in door 22 caliber shooter to a Queen's Plate shooter with his name on it more then a few times.

When C Ganter shot the World's match in Australia, he was up against 1600 of the best the world had too offer, he was not on a team that had funding nor did he take on any sponcers as he footed his own bill.

The 7 Commonwealth countries sent teams of their best marks-men, and the USA sent 3 of their best teams...

Getting into the 500 top out of 1600 is truely an houner, and coming in at #219 is simply awesome.

Kneeling, sitting, pron and standing at 900 meters with rifle, peep hole aperture sights and leather sling, hands and shooting jacket is the gear they had back then.

C Ganter is still shooting today with a scope because his eye sight is worn down, but he can still take up the rifle and shot bard-wire fence lines at 400 yards trying too take down those coyotes. LOL,,, damed wire as it takes away his predator control skills.

No one ever thought a auto mechanic / game harvester fellow from a small town in Western Canada could go too world match time and time again and again as C Ganter did.

Not even Carl him self thought it could be done.

Always glad to share on awesome threads that improve the quality of sport.

Don

I would like to know just how many cold bore shots on game at distance beyond 1300 yds???? not talking below 1000 I mean range it pull the trigger hit, you better have some dam good euipment and reloads that are SD 3to5 gettin a hit, gettin a kill, harmonics have to be well known and you best know exactly how that gun shoots at distance, all that electronic stuff is out the window if you have a cold or you and your wife had a fight, or your dog got shot or your not mentally just into it that day, harmonics can change by your shooting position alone, altitude breathing how you feel 100's of things not just anybody can pull that off every day and I would say there is a lot more misses than hits

"Walking it in" doesn't work on elk, deer, or antelope at long range, and I'm not saying you do it, but it would be unethical to do it on big game. However, it is just fine on varmint. As B&G said, different goals. But, it is a way to work your skills up to cold bore hits. We all come from somewhere
if your shooting LR at game sometimes they don't have a clue what's going on, you could wiz maybe 3to 4 shots by and they don't move, if it's windy

if your shooting LR at game sometimes they don't have a clue what's going on, you could wiz maybe 3to 4 shots by and they don't move, if it's windy

They do sometimes stand there BUT if I miss I made a serious mistake and the operation shuts down and we figure out what went wrong.
If you miss your cold bore shot your exceeding your capability to shoot in the condition your trying to shoot in and you need to stop and make a change not continue shooting!!!

Found this today.
It's not the big bore long range tip it over elephant cartrage by any means,,, of course this awesome threads is about world record tightest group.

I'll have to admit that this 1000 yard group is simply amazing.

Who-da thunk.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2014/04/best-10-shot-1000-yard-group-in-history-be-amazed/

Reporting from winter land up over Western Canada Don
I shoot 600 yard BR with Tim Claunch who built his rifle.
I asked him shortly after if he regretted selling it, he said he was more than happy to let a skilled marksman achieve something great.

That 10 shot group was amazing.

All Class. It's one thing to stand on the shoulders of giants and achieve something great, it's another thing to be one in the group of giants holding up a skilled friend as they make their mark..... and being truly happy for them.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.