Wondering how important die selection is?

Well I am sure the OP figured out his dies around 8 years ago.

That said, unless you are chasing super low agg's in benchrest you can do very well with a standard set of redding dies, and possibly add in a mandrel instead of expander ball. You can make handloads capable of well under 1/2 moa with standard dies.

Let your goals direct how much you spend on your reloading equipment, it's a deep rabbit hole. Your RCBS FL sizing dies will build 1/2 MOA rounds all day, so do want to be tighter than 1/2 MOA? If so, start studying and buying various different stuff, but it probably won't be the FL dies that hold back your accuracy goals.
IMHO precision seating (and ogive measuring) mandrel neck sizing, case trimming, accurately and consistently measuring your powder charges are all higher on my list than high dollar and/or custom FL dies. Most brands you are familiar with build FL dies sufficient for building very accurate rounds.
I use RCBS, Redding, Forester, etc for their various dies and seating. I've made plenty of rounds that print groups from 250-.350 which is good enough for me and for what you described. Sometimes things that work really well are cheap! My favorite de-capping fixture is a $12 Lee lol. Look at each aspect of building accurate rounds separately... de-capping, FL sizing, seating, charging, etc and find equipment that meets your needs and your budget.
Good luck.

Hey guys,

I just bought a 300RUM built by Fierce arms. This will be my first long range rig I hope. What I'm wondering about is how necessary is extremely good dies? The guy who works for gun works seems to think I should be using the Redding Type S - Match Bushing Full Die Set, Redding Titanium Nitride Neck Sizing Bushings, Redding Titanium Nitride Neck Sizing Bushings, Redding Competition Shellholder Sets - 6.

At this point I have only ever used RCBS FL resizing and seating stuff.

2 of my other buddies say not to spend that sort of money on these expensive dies as its not that much of a difference.

Can you give me your opinions? Which dies would be good enough. This is not for competition shooting, its for hunting out to 750 yards, and blasting rocks at 1000 maybe.

Cheers, Dave
Tell you what I know fer shur.... half the guys using micrometer dies couldn't tell you what the wind is doing past 400 yards.

Get a set of lee collet dies and go shoot. Tools are only as good as their operator, and most of the time, a regular old craftsman wrench does the job as well as a snap on ratchet.

Last edited:
Tell you what I know fer shur.... half the guys using micrometer dies couldn't tell you what the wind is doing past 400 yards.

Get a set of lee collet dies and go shoot. Tools are only as good as their operator, and most of the time, a regular old craftsman wrench does the job as well as a snap on ratchet.
There is no doubt that you need both the skill to use the advanced tool to advantage, as well as the shooting skill and gun to see the difference. Die make is irrelevant in a 2 MOA gun. When you are shooting for low aggregate or 1/2 MOA at 1000 yards, die selection matters, among many other things.

Years back started out using Vickerman bullet seaters , since then RCBS and a few others imitated that set up and now call them Match Master Comp seater die . Vickerman has since been sold- but sold a solid seating die with the bullet window , micro adj , free floating , sliding bushing , centering seater stem. Have since made a few modifications to his system thanks to a master machinist buddy and able to turn out much improved finished rounds with very much less concentricity problems. Have them in all the calibers with different seater stem's according to bullet design , OG etc. Then its the BRASS : can't do much with bad brass, its bad brass . Cut the neck's but that only does so much and its a lot of work . Even if using a lathe .
I would say the closest to great dies would be the L E WILSON SS Chamber type die without going into full custom made dies. Then again where does one draw the line on perfect ?????? or close tooo.. I use a lot of Redding's Huntington RCBS , Wilson's dies and some are custom made with great results.
Guess one needs to know when to stop and start shooting and having fun !!!!!