How important is primer pocket/flash hole prep?

Just looked at my tool, it's stamped Russ Haydon. Measured the pockets on some new Peterson brass as best I could with calipers and they averaged .2065. My tool measures .2085.
I'll check mine for size but that doesn't sound right. You wouldn't be able to seat a Rem 9 or 91/2 at that size they would just fall out. I had purchased scope lapping equipment from Russ and when your stuff was lapped in you had to take .005 off the mating surfaces where the screws went. I tossed them and bought a wheeler set and no longer have that issue.

I don't think anyone will see a big difference in groupings at 100 yards, 200 yards or even 300. When you take the time to get a consistently lower SDs though the results are going to be reflected in your long range shooting IMO. When you take the additional time and pay attention toALL the little things they all add up to making BIG differences In overall performance. I've got most of my loads in low single digit SDs and I truly think it's because of the extra attention to the small details. Got these loads at a 3.6 SD.
I agree Consistency rules!
1584316543011.png

I use redding carbide primer pocket uniformers they came with an adapter for a drill and a handle to do it by hand also .

A lot of good sound practices listed above. Consistency is also mentioned.
I strive for that with a capital C:
New (quality) brass is sorted into weight classes, flash holes deburred, pockets uniformed. After fire form; anneal, trim, scrape carbon from pocket, brush inside of neck. I do all cases the same after every firing, all in the name of consistency..
Before I started following these practices, my average ES was 22. since, it is 13. For me, that is a big deal.

I am currently identifying "anomaly" cases with very high or low velocity (often, but not always show as "fliers") and segregating them. This a work in progress, but so far, my ES has come down an additional 4 fps on average.

Full disclosure, I address all aspects of loading and shooting with the same degree of obsession (insanity), but it works for me. Doing so eliminates as many variables as possible, leaving the shooter solely responsible for results..

I agree 100%, at the end of the day its a question of did I eliminate all the variables, or did I do My part behind my rifle. Heck, I still FLS all my new unfired Lapua brass and I index each round after seating the bullet, on my Neco. "OCD" LOL.

I clean and chamfer my brass because I feel like my primers sit tighter. I re-prime on a Redding T7 press and it just works slicker that way. I don't see much if any cartridge improvement. More like a process improvement.

A lot of good sound practices listed above. Consistency is also mentioned.
I strive for that with a capital C:
New (quality) brass is sorted into weight classes, flash holes deburred, pockets uniformed. After fire form; anneal, trim, scrape carbon from pocket, brush inside of neck. I do all cases the same after every firing, all in the name of consistency..
Before I started following these practices, my average ES was 22. since, it is 13. For me, that is a big deal.

I am currently identifying "anomaly" cases with very high or low velocity (often, but not always show as "fliers") and segregating them. This a work in progress, but so far, my ES has come down an additional 4 fps on average.

Full disclosure, I address all aspects of loading and shooting with the same degree of obsession (insanity), but it works for me. Doing so eliminates as many variables as possible, leaving the shooter solely responsible for results..

insanity is a subjective word isn't it? Who even gets to decide who's sane?

To me it's like buying a new rifle in a wood stock then taking it home and bedding it before you shoot it or cleaning it before shooting it . For me that's just eliminating some of the possible problems that can cause you problems with accuracy so that I myself know that it's me not my equipment when I have a bad day at the range or hunting .

To me it's like buying a new rifle in a wood stock then taking it home and bedding it before you shoot it or cleaning it before shooting it . For me that's just eliminating some of the possible problems that can cause you problems with accuracy so that I myself know that it's me not my equipment when I have a bad day at the range or hunting .
Confession time...I've never cleaned any of the guns I've bough new before shooting them

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.