Shell holder Slop - how important is fit?

ricka0

When I'm reloading my 270 WSM and my RUM collection, the RUM shell holder is just barely too tight for the WSM (you can force it), so I've been using the WSM for both. I went to reload some WinMag cartridges and don't have the proper shell holder, but the RUM unit fits my 338 WinMag brass a bit sloppy. I'm thinking a sloppy fit is better, as the die should align the brass, not the shell holder.

b1g_b0re,
There's another important consideration (that's often overlooked) when switching to a different shellholder. You should accurately measure the distance between all three of a shellholders flat surfaces (top to center and overall height). I once discovered that when you switch shellholders, or use a different brand of shellholder, these dimensions can vary quite a bit. Even the slightest variation will affect all of your die settings.

Also, make sure your shellholder is clean so that you can push your case fully to the rear. This ensures that your resizing and bullet seating will "begin" with your case in a concentric alignment. These tips help to keep my case runout less than .002" (at the worst).

- Innovative

big_b0re:

I have dedicated shell holders for each case that demands a different shell holder. These shell holders stay at the press area and never move to different locations in the room. When a shell holder is used for the correct case I leave it at the press area and it never moves or gets mixed up with the other shell holders of the same brand and size that may be used in a different part of the room. Once a die is set up with a certain shell holder on a certain press, nothing changes and nothing gets swapped out or moved.

Like Innovative said, it's another variable that should be controlled. If you don't have the right one, get it but don't use something that's a compromise. Your rounds will suffer because of it. Also like was mentioned, cleanliness is essential and if you're not careful pretty soon you'll start having problems that you really don't want. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Recent Posts