wolves in Idaho

skinnyjk

I am planning a trip to unit 39 next fall and am trying to pick an area not decimated by wolves. We will be hunting the NE segment for Elk and Mule Deer. Any suggestions? (We are open to other area's.

If your thinking around Atlanta or north of that I'd reconsider. I hunted Atlanta for over 20 years and haven't been back in a couple years. The elk and deer are almost non-existent now. I have killed a few wolves up there but you don't see them much anymore either as there is nothing left to eat. The old adage..... eating yourself out of house and home comes to mind. It's pretty sad since there use to be a ton of game up there in the late 90's and early 2000's.

Wolves are in every part of 39. It also receives a lot of hunter pressure due to it's proximity to the Boise. That said, people are still pulling some elk out of there but all of Central Idaho has taken a hit on big game success. Tough time to be an Outfitter.

Thanks for nothing Washington DC.

Plenty of elk in Central Idaho, but they are highly pressured, stick to heavy cover and really nasty terrain, which has all burned in the last 3 years it seems.

One nice thing here, you can pull into town and buy your tag and go hunting.

Unit 28 gets quite a bit of pressure as it is an open area(not a controlled hunt). There are some elk there though if you are willing to hunt hard. I have friends that kill an elk there almost every year but they know the area very well too.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.