Got it done in Idaho

Backcountry_IDN

One of the guys got it done solo for us. His first bull and his first year archery elk hunting. He practiced all year getting bugle and cow tones down.

I get a call mid day Sept 29th from him. Breathing extremely hard overcome with excitement saying, "I got a bull down, bull down baby! I just watched him roll 50 yards away!"

Thats when I knew I had to go help. Well very long story short, onX measures as the crow flies so what looks like 3 miles ended up being over 7 from the truck. Got there with one of our friends to head in and help, we didn't get back until 2 am. Next day me and him had to go get the rest. 7 in 7 out. Another 1230 am excursion. Beautiful country. Rugged though.

In a few months the video will be up for all to see.
image000002(2).jpg

Congrats. That's an amazing accomplishment in the first year.

7 miles x 4 or 5 trips x 2 (round trip) = 56 or 70 miles!!!! You guys earned that one!!

We had 30 encounters this season and never once drew our bows (we had 5 really close encounters that fizzled out). Don't ask me how that's possible. Common wisdom says it takes 10 encounters to get 1 shot (insert frustrated head scratching). Even so, it's the most action packed season we have ever had, we did everything right short of loosing an arrow and coming home with a bull. I hate being a 90 %'er.... it doesn't sit well with either of us, considering the miserable places we hunted every day, the high cost of energy to be into multiple bugling bulls each day on public land OTC. I guess it just goes to show that even a 10% effort doesn't guarantee a bull for anyone.

Congrats. That's an amazing accomplishment in the first year.

7 miles x 4 or 5 trips x 2 (round trip) = 56 or 70 miles!!!! You guys earned that one!!

We had 30 encounters this season and never once drew our bows (we had 5 really close encounters that fizzled out). Don't ask me how that's possible. Common wisdom says it takes 10 encounters to get 1 shot (insert frustrated head scratching). Even so, it's the most action packed season we have ever had, we did everything right short of loosing an arrow and coming home with a bull. I hate being a 90 %'er.... it doesn't sit well with either of us, considering the miserable places we hunted every day, the high cost of energy to be into multiple bugling bulls each day on public land OTC. I guess it just goes to show that even a 10% effort doesn't guarantee a bull for anyone.

Definitely earned it! Haha he himself did over 100 miles in September. Definitely an accomplishment. I think I did 30 miles all week for my elk hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.