Wolf kill pics.... Trophy Bull Elk.....

sp, are you saying that the wolves we have here in NW MT are not native? Please. They are as native as the dirt. They have all been pretty much spawned from the packs in the north fork of the flathead, and the others that have been roaming around Eureka, back and forth across the border since I was a little kid. I have seen wolf tracks since I started hunting in the late 80s. None of this is new to me. Nor should it be new to anyone that has hunted around here at all. They have got more plentiful for sure, no argueing that, but they aren't special in any way.

They are 80-120 pounds with a few outliers that get maybe 15 pounds heavier. I have grown tired of this idea that those McKenzie River Valley wolves they brought from Alberta have eaten all the little dinky native wolves. Where did this 3x bigger than native wolves come from? 3x? Holy buckets!! Just isn't true, no matter how many times someone writes it on the internet. The sizes and weights of the wolves released in Yellowstone was documented, go look it up.

Think about it. How in the past 3 or 4 or 5 thousand years did not one or a group of these super huge, ultra bad wolves not wander out of the MRV and go and kill off all the other wolves on the north american continent? I mean really, if they are so prone to killing other wolves, why would they have only started doing this after being drop shipped into yellowstone and central ID? I mean, since they are so big and bad ***, shouldn't they have at some point eaten themselves out of house and home enough to go have to wander out of the MRV? Doesn't make much sense does it. Or is there an impenetrable fence around the MRV?

And not all the wolves they did transplant came from there. Some came from BC as well. What are those? Some other form of super wolf?

The bottom line is, we should have been shooting and trapping these things about 8 years ago, that is the problem, not that they are some superwolf.

Native Rocky Mountain Wolves v. Introduced Canadian Gray Wolves - RAW-WAR

Panel Roundtable: Canadian Gray Wolf Introduction into Yellowstone - Black Bear Blog

Wolf Country, wolf species, taxonamy in North America

Quotes from above pro wolf site:

"canis lupus occidentalis a large wolf from Western Canada, also called the Mackenzie Vally Wolf."

"canis lupus irremotus a medium-sized, light-colored wolf from the Rockey Mountians"

Just some info to think about.

Read my post,it said native.My family has had land up near border,NF FOR 40 years.Original wolf study area as mentioned, by pioneer in wolf study, She. Diann was up there 12 yrs. 60 miles from town no electricity, she stayed in our cabin.All winter,they trapped and collared, one time I think 35 where collared. You use to not be able and go up there without seeing a bioligist w/tracking gear.We had g -bears pull bucks out of truck and eat em at camp.The meadow out there used to be loaded w/ deer, have seen 14 bucks in one bunch.This year my sister inlaw saw a wolf feeding on deer in river, and no deer in meadow. I grew up here and spend over 70 days a season hunting, I know what is going on.

Bummer. Did you at least get to keep the antlers? I am a little suprised they did not eat more.

I don't know that much about wolves. Do they leave a kill and come back to it later or days later?

This is normal of all the wolves around here. I do alot of my hunting over by wolf creek and we found over 20 dead elk anything from calves to cows and spike bulls between sept.25 and nov. 28 all looking just like this bull. The wolves never come back ever!!! They just kill for fun!

The section I C/Pd in my last post was just a small part of the link jmden put in his post under the Roundtable Panel with a number of distinguished people including Dr. Valerius Geist.

There is a Proverb that says "answer a fool according to his folly lest he be wise in his own eyes"! For a person to really know what the truth about something is, they have to WANT to know what it is. ...Rich

Guess what the verse in Proverbs before that one is (Prov 26:4)! "Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will be like him yourself." The ones you don't want to "answer" are those who John Adams was referring to when he said, "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

It is correct that the wolves we are finding in MT are bigger than the ones they were brought here to "replace", after they were wiped out for good reason. I eat cervids (deer and elk), as well as cattle. So do wolves. They compete with you and me for my food and my sport.We will win, if given the chance to manage them properly.

Here's a picture of a wolf an associate of mine just killed here in MT. Big one! Elk-Hunting-Tips.Net | Facebook

sp, sorry, you had native in CAPS, not "", i should slow down, my apologies.

jmden, read and heard all this many times before. And like I said, where are these near 200 pounders at? I keep reading they are 3x bigger than the natives wolves. What you posted says 120 lbs.

And just to clarify, I am not denying any of that. But there are many guys up here in NW MT that think our wolves are not native. And this idea that the native wolves are/were these meek little beings. BS I distinctly remember them packing up and sport killing before they even had a chance to leave yellowstone. They killed 120 sheep right outside Fortine in the mid 90s.

And if you want to get into that discussion you posted and disease, that is funny. Have any of you looked up that disease to see where in the US its major occurences have been? SW US. How could that be? In fact, there is no proof that yotes and wolves didn't get it from livestock brought out here.

Think for yourselves for just a second and answer my question. Do you believe these MV wolves never left that region? Why didn't they wipe out Columbianus then? Columbianus is "a large wolf" in BC. Don't you realize there was a huge race in the scientific community during the discovery of the "the west" to get out and explore, be the one to name new species, get recognized in literature for such. I am saying, I don't believe all these subspecies were ever that different. Some scientist sees darker colors in a pack, new species!! The next guy says these are very light colored here, new species!! These are chasing herds of 10,000 caribu, food is very abundant, heck yes they will have large litters, new species!!! You over feed your pregnant dog you get from the pound, it will have a big litter of pups. You drop a bunch of wolves in Yellowstone, over-run with 20,000 elk, wth do think is going to happen. Food is plentiful, big litters. Similar animals in different ecosystems will behave differently by necessity, it doesn't make them different species. NW MT sure isn't the tundra teeming with giant herds of game. Never has been. Why would there be big packs with large litters? Uh-oh, new species!!

sp, sorry, you had native in CAPS, not "", i should slow down, my apologies.

jmden, read and heard all this many times before. And like I said, where are these near 200 pounders at? I keep reading they are 3x bigger than the natives wolves. What you posted says 120 lbs.

I never said anything about 200lb wolves or wolves 3x some certain size. I merely included some info for thought, as I stated.

And just to clarify, I am not denying any of that. But there are many guys up here in NW MT that think our wolves are not native. And this idea that the native wolves are/were these meek little beings. BS I distinctly remember them packing up and sport killing before they even had a chance to leave yellowstone. They killed 120 sheep right outside Fortine in the mid 90s.

Show us links. Give us facts. I'm not denying what you are saying as it was known that some CA wolves were already moving south. Are these what you are talking about? Other areas, however, seem to tell a different story than you do about the type and size and habits of the wolf that was in their area before introduction.

And if you want to get into that discussion you posted and disease, that is funny. Have any of you looked up that disease to see where in the US its major occurences have been? SW US. How could that be? In fact, there is no proof that yotes and wolves didn't get it from livestock brought out here.

I didn't. It was just in the link. Show me a link about the SW US having the disease. One of the links I posted had one of the folks saying that wolves in MT, I if I recall correctly, 90% that are checked for the disease have it. Did you see that?

Think for yourselves for just a second and answer my question. Do you believe these MV wolves never left that region?

What is MV? Mackenzie Valley wolves? Same thing as the Canadian Grey wolf--see the link and quote I left for you in my last post.

Why didn't they wipe out Columbianus then? Columbianus is "a large wolf" in BC. Don't you realize there was a huge race in the scientific community during the discovery of the "the west" to get out and explore, be the one to name new species, get recognized in literature for such. I am saying, I don't believe all these subspecies were ever that different. Some scientist sees darker colors in a pack, new species!! The next guy says these are very light colored here, new species!! These are chasing herds of 10,000 caribu, food is very abundant, heck yes they will have large litters, new species!!!

New subspecies, not species...very different. Yes, they are all very close, but any dog is very close to any other dog. It was Ed Bangs who said something to the effect if you put a beagle and a wolf in blenders, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them in terms of DNA, yet the DNA they have manifests itself very differently. So, it doesn't take much difference in DNA along with population isolation for a period of time, etc. to produce a wolf that looks and acts different that wolves of another population. Who decides it's a new subspecies is beyond me, but the fact is they are different in some respects. Did you read the link I gave about the trapper in ID who was cataloguing encounters with Canus lupis irremotus?

You over feed your pregnant dog you get from the pound, it will have a big litter of pups. You drop a bunch of wolves in Yellowstone, over-run with 20,000 elk, wth do think is going to happen. Food is plentiful, big litters. Similar animals in different ecosystems will behave differently by necessity, it doesn't make them different species. NW MT sure isn't the tundra teeming with giant herds of game. Never has been. Why would there be big packs with large litters? Uh-oh, new species!!

I'm curious, what is you intent here? You seem to think that wolves need proper controlling, but don't seem to think to highly of the good information you've been given.

Last edited:
MV, McKenzie Valley. I don't mean you. I just read about 7 different forums and that is what keeps getting mentioned, that these non native wolves are 3x bigger or weigh 200 pounds. I know you see it, don't play me.

I have no intent so to speak. I just don't take everything I read as gospel without doing a little reading on my own. I find it interesting how many will take the word of one phD over the word of another because they just agree with their position. Many many guys on hunting forums discredit any govt. official or biologist and their numbers, or studies, etc, when they disagree with their position, but then find a few guys like in that link(which I have read before) and hang onto it as total gospel.

I just like discussion.

Yes, I read all your links. And that is what I was trying to explain. Similar SUBSPECIES will act, live, eat, etc very differently in different ecosystems. Wolves out on the tundra living next to thousands of caribou, vs, wolves running around in the jungle brush of NW MT, I argue that if you just swap a pack from here and drop it there, it can and will change immediately to the environment. It wouldn't take long, if you dropped irremotus in the MV with lots of food, they would grow larger, have bigger litters, etc within a couple generations. Canids have the ability to have smaller litters when food is scarce and visa versa. Here is one study, it is a known phenomenon.
http://www.arctic-predators.uit.no/biblio_IPYappl/TannerfeldtOikos98 litter size arctic fox.pdf

Also, if you take a McKenzie Valley pack, drop it in NW MT, it will quickly disperse and start taking a lot of time digging bunnies out of brushpiles and holes, because game is so few and far between comparatively.

Here is one link I read a couple years ago, when one of the local politicians that was running for election tried to bring up E. granulosus, scaring the hell out of all the soccer moms in the area. I started reading about the disease, its prevalence worldwide, and how possible it was to get this affliction. Treatments, etc.

Echinococcus granulosus in Gray Wolves and Ungulates in Idaho and Montana, USA

CDC - Echinococcosis - General Information - Cystic Echinococcosis (CE) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

I don't have links to say there were packs of wolves here before introduction. All I can say is I grew up in Eureka and walked around in a lot of wolf tracks around Fortine, Trego, Pinkham, etc. sp's word seems to be good enough for folks here.
Here is an article that mentions the Pleasant Valley pack in Marion in 1989.

Wolf Reintroduction: How the Wolves Came Back - Natural Recolonization

You are probably confused because while I think we should have been hunting them long ago, I just don't fall in line with the thinking of every anti wolf dude on the internet.
In saying that, I guess, my intent is to get people to look at the east kootenai elk herd in s.e. BC. I put up a whole bunch of links in the "end the quotas" thread about them. I just see the Canadians literally doubling their elk herd there, enjoying incredible hunting in the face of these superduty CANADIAN wolves. Go there and read it. Then explain to me how they can do so well just across the 49th parallel. Nobody seems to want to acknowledge what they have done. I have put that out there many places and in many conversations. So, yeah, I guess my intent is to get our game agencies and land agencies to look at them and see what they are doing. Obviously something right. I see no reason why we can't have the same. We have the same wolves they do.

To clarify my post, this is area specific that I am talking about. The area is NWMT, that borders Canada, and specific NF drainage as known by locals. I am going on recollection, so could be off slight. 3o years ago they where having wolf sightins, specific,GNP. I went up to the area and I saw them once in the early time frame.A gal was doing her colledge master program, and she was trapper ,and wolf managment from MI.She came to this area to study the wolf, she stayed in my FATHER in laws cabin for some time , which is at the border. I could launch a arrow and hit front doors of closed border station. She was a caretacker for him, she shot 6pt. bulls and lived off the land for 12 yrs up there.not all at same location. She was the original wolf guru for MT as I know it. This relates to where I live. I call them wolfs, one day in USA another in Canada. During time frame in early 90's here team had collared 35 wolfs. that area at that time had 50 in 4 packs. This area , borders GNP FOR 60 miles, and I THINK QUOTA WAS 3 wolfs this season. A few weeks back, I cut 4 wolf and to good sized cat tracks in that spot after fresh snow, wolfs had crossed river to park side,region closaed last week. Here is another story relating to same upper area . In another main drainage, the MF , IN 1975,we had a cabin broken into by a large grizz.My brother in law cast that track,12'' long 7'' wide.This is sold locally.The bear was known as the Giefer GRIZZ. H e was estimated to have caused $100,000 in damage to forest service and private property, he was a cabin raider.He was trapped and moved 100 miles, he returned. He was moved again, now to the NF, border area 100 miles. The nfork then had a problem bear. They brought in hunters and killed large grizz in trail creek, wrong bear.Because on last move bear was collared and tagged.The collar turned up in a raided cabin and no problems, figured local killed bear?Then in 1976 a hunter, I think from Penns. shot a 800 # grizz, it was they Giefer Grizz, shot just North of Border in Canada,he was 12 yrs. old when shot.

Guess what the verse in Proverbs before that one is (Prov 26:4)! "Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will be like him yourself." The ones you don't want to "answer" are those who John Adams was referring to when he said, "Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence."

It is correct that the wolves we are finding in MT are bigger than the ones they were brought here to "replace", after they were wiped out for good reason. I eat cervids (deer and elk), as well as cattle. So do wolves. They compete with you and me for my food and my sport.We will win, if given the chance to manage them properly.

Here's a picture of a wolf an associate of mine just killed here in MT. Big one! Elk-Hunting-Tips.Net | Facebook

I think you have your wires a little crossed! The fools that I was refering to were the huggers who were causing all the problems on this thread. You need to read the rest of my responses......Rich

You have also taken the vs out of context. It says to answer a fool as he deserves but not to get caught up in the foolishness by giving foolish answers in return......Rich

Nice shot by your friend!

MV, McKenzie Valley. I don't mean you. I just read about 7 different forums and that is what keeps getting mentioned, that these non native wolves are 3x bigger or weigh 200 pounds. I know you see it, don't play me.

"Don't play me." Not playing you, just making it clear who communicated what.

I have no intent so to speak. I just don't take everything I read as gospel without doing a little reading on my own. I find it interesting how many will take the word of one phD over the word of another because they just agree with their position. Many many guys on hunting forums discredit any govt. official or biologist and their numbers, or studies, etc, when they disagree with their position, but then find a few guys like in that link(which I have read before) and hang onto it as total gospel.

I just like discussion.

Yes, I read all your links. And that is what I was trying to explain. Similar SUBSPECIES will act, live, eat, etc very differently in different ecosystems. Wolves out on the tundra living next to thousands of caribou, vs, wolves running around in the jungle brush of NW MT, I argue that if you just swap a pack from here and drop it there, it can and will change immediately to the environment. It wouldn't take long, if you dropped irremotus in the MV with lots of food, they would grow larger, have bigger litters, etc within a couple generations. Canids have the ability to have smaller litters when food is scarce and visa versa. Here is one study, it is a known phenomenon.
http://www.arctic-predators.uit.no/biblio_IPYappl/TannerfeldtOikos98 litter size arctic fox.pdf

Also, if you take a McKenzie Valley pack, drop it in NW MT, it will quickly disperse and start taking a lot of time digging bunnies out of brushpiles and holes, because game is so few and far between comparatively.

Here is one link I read a couple years ago, when one of the local politicians that was running for election tried to bring up E. granulosus, scaring the hell out of all the soccer moms in the area. I started reading about the disease, its prevalence worldwide, and how possible it was to get this affliction. Treatments, etc.

Echinococcus granulosus in Gray Wolves and Ungulates in Idaho and Montana, USA

This link certainly seems to tell me that the majority of wolves have this parasite in them and that it was not known that this parasite existed in this area before wolves were introduced. Do you disagree?

Here's the quote at the very top of the article/study. Isn't this just further cause for concern?:

"We evaluated the small intestines of 123 gray wolves (Canis lupus) that were collected from Idaho, USA (n=63), and Montana, USA (n=60), between 2006 and 2008 for the tapeworm Echinococcus granulosus. The tapeworm was detected in 39 of 63 wolves (62%) in Idaho, USA, and 38 of 60 wolves (63%) in Montana, USA. The detection of thousands of tapeworms per wolf was a common finding. In Idaho, USA, hydatid cysts, the intermediate form of E. granulosus, were detected in elk (Cervus elaphus), mule deer (Odocoileus hemionus), and a mountain goat (Oreamnos americanus). In Montana, USA, hydatid cysts were detected in elk. To our knowledge, this is the first report of adult E. granulosus in Idaho, USA, or Montana, USA. It is unknown whether the parasite was introduced into Idaho, USA, and southwestern Montana, USA, with the importation of wolves from Alberta, Canada, or British Columbia, Canada, into Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming, USA, and central Idaho, USA, in 1995 and 1996, or whether the parasite has always been present in other carnivore hosts, and wolves became a new definitive host. Based on our results, the parasite is now well established in wolves in these states and is documented in elk, mule deer, and a mountain goat as intermediate hosts."

CDC - Echinococcosis - General Information - Cystic Echinococcosis (CE) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Two quotes from right at the top of this link above stand out for me:

"By petting or handling household dogs infected with the Echinococcus granulosus tapeworm. These dogs may shed the tapeworm eggs in their stool, and their fur may be contaminated."

and

"How is cystic echinococcosis (CE) spread?
The most common way of becoming infected with CE involves contact with infected dogs. Dogs that eat home-slaughtered sheep and other livestock become infected and Echinococcus granulosus eggs can be found in their stool and in dog hairs. Direct contact with infected dogs, particularly intimate contact between children and their pet dogs, leads to human infection. Indirect contact through soil, water and contaminated vegetables may also lead to infections. Echinococcus granulosus eggs can survive snow and freezing conditions. Risk factors for human infection include uncontrolled dogs living closely with people, uncontrolled slaughter of livestock, and unsanitary living conditions."

Dogs certainly seem to be something the CDC is concerned about here. More wolves = more dogs, obviously.

I don't have links to say there were packs of wolves here before introduction. All I can say is I grew up in Eureka and walked around in a lot of wolf tracks around Fortine, Trego, Pinkham, etc. sp's word seems to be good enough for folks here.
Here is an article that mentions the Pleasant Valley pack in Marion in 1989.

Wolf Reintroduction: How the Wolves Came Back - Natural Recolonization

I don't know that anyone is disputing this. However, other areas in the region certainly appeared to have had their own wolf before introduction of Canus lupis occidentalis with differnent morphology and habits that perhaps what you had up there. Is that a possibility you will consider? Your specific situation, while valid, may be quite different from someone else's, say in central Idaho.

You are probably confused because while I think we should have been hunting them long ago, I just don't fall in line with the thinking of every anti wolf dude on the internet.
In saying that, I guess, my intent is to get people to look at the east kootenai elk herd in s.e. BC. I put up a whole bunch of links in the "end the quotas" thread about them. I just see the Canadians literally doubling their elk herd there, enjoying incredible hunting in the face of these superduty CANADIAN wolves. Go there and read it. Then explain to me how they can do so well just across the 49th parallel. Nobody seems to want to acknowledge what they have done. I have put that out there many places and in many conversations. So, yeah, I guess my intent is to get our game agencies and land agencies to look at them and see what they are doing. Obviously something right. I see no reason why we can't have the same. We have the same wolves they do.

I also would like to know all the ins and outs to this situation in Canada. 'gunpower' has spoken to this as he's from Elkhart, BC, was it? Obviously, something is different down her, however. We have to deal with our reality here, and not just hope for their reality there. Our reality here says we need significant wolf management power or we won't have hunting to do.

There are a ton of examples/studies that clearly show what happens in many areas when wolves are not controlled. Any hunter should be concerned about this. Not just for their own 'selfish' (as some might say ridiculously) desire to harvest an animal but for the preservation of the animals themselves.

I don't want to sound like I'm 'playing' you, but you are familiar with the 'North American Model of Wildlife Management', right? What do you suppose might happen (it's already happening as has been attested to here) to these cervids if there is no funding from hunting to support their management? Hunting decreases, less money for wildlife management as a whole--not just game animals are affectted. All wildlife is affected negatively as the funding dries up.

What do you think will happen to hunting if there are less and less hunters? We already have a difficult enough time with hunting related political/legal issues and if hunter numbers are further decreased, we will have less political clout. This is exactly what the left wants.

What do you think will happen to the 2nd ammendment fight if there are less hunters? It certainly doesn't help the ongoing 2nd ammendment fight does it to have less people actually using guns?

The abundance of wolves also is forcing ranchers in some areas to not graze their cattle on federal lands due the finanacial losses incurred from the wolf killing their livestock.

There are a number of tremendous long term potential consequences to the wolves not being adequately controlled that must be considered in the equation.

The original number ageed upon for this 'experimental population' of introduced subspecies was 300. There are now very likely 10x plus that amount. The government wolf numbers have always been 'minimums', a very slippery term. Don't forget that.

Do you trust the fed. government in this particular endeavor? Here's a short video that gives some good reason for not trusting them on this issue. They are, as a whole, a very biased bunch on this issue:

[ame=http://vimeo.com/28939194]Crying Wolf - Jim Beers: The Demise of Conservation on Vimeo[/ame]

I'm not saying that we have to erradicate wolves, but we do have to agressively control them. Do you or do you not agree with that statement?

Some where I had read that another one of the agreements when the wolves were re-introduced was that each state had to come up with a sound management program for the wolves before they would release them from the endangered list. As we speak Wyoming has yet to do that and thats why they are not hunting them??? I went to the last wolf management meeting here in Idaho and have the management booklet and IDFG has not followed what they had put down in print.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.