Trophy Elk in lower 48

At least you have points. The wise guys at Idaho FnG, refuse to go to a point system. Then our leaders added another reg that says if one applies for a controlled elk hunt and fails to draw, he still must wait 5 days to buy a regular season elk tag in select units. Most sell out in 1 or 2 days. However, our wolf population is nine times above Fed threshold.
Yes. Idaho and New Mex. Are the only two states I apply in that don't do points . I hope it stays that way.
Waiting 5 days to buy general tag after draw is nonsense. A PC law I suppose...

That's good to hear. I'm thinking of a management hunt with them in the future. I feel compared to most private places a high 260-300 at 5k is a pretty good deal.

And I agree, that place is covered up in elk. I wouldn't want to drive much of it at night.

If you look closely at the at the group of 4 heads in the center of the pic plus the one being hosed off, those are some darn nice bulls for management hunts...imo.
Well I have a little prejudice. Unless things have changed they run very close to a 100% success rate and you don't pay the trophy fee unless you connect. If you shoot and they find blood though, you bought it.

30 years ago a 300" bull was very hard to find on the reservation and today it's hard to find a mature bull under 300 unless he's broken some points or a main beam.

If I were going to pay for a private land hunt, that's probably where I'd go because of both the success rates and where the money goes.

I'm definitely planning a bear hunt or two on the reservation in the future, I just have yet to get around to doing it.

Am looking for advice on a outfitter for Trophy Elk . Not a fence hunt! Looking for a 300 plus bull. We really like doing horseback tent camp hunts. But we are both getting up there in age and for my wife it is getting very difficult to do. Would not be totally against hunting out of a lodge or cabin if that's our only option. Have hunted Idaho Colorado and Wyoming already. Really enjoyed the open country of Wyoming doing spot and stalk. Didn't really care for the dark timber of Colorado. Was more like whitetail hunting back home. Thought about doing archery or Muzzleloader. Would like to experience the rut. But not a deal breaker. If you have any first hand knowledge would appreciate your input. Thinking of doing in 23 or 24.
Deadline Outfitters
Twin Falls, ID.
Contact, Hoby Gartner
300 inch bills not a problem here. Open country just the way you like it. You will not be disappointed.

definitely dont want points here.. I'll take my chances with random draws over having too compete with guys that have 20 plus years on me that are now all cashing in!
Having lived most of my life in Idaho (45 years) and seen Idaho's population triple in population, I favor points as I've applied forever for moose and for ML elk the last ten years. All those controlled hunt fees I've paid aren't worth didley.

NM has some great bulls! Problem is drawing the tag in one of the top unit's. The Northern units have lots of elk, just not the big boys, we'll there's a few but nothing like down South or the Western side.

Having lived most of my life in Idaho (45 years) and seen Idaho's population triple in population, I favor points as I've applied forever for moose and for ML elk the last ten years. All those controlled hunt fees I've paid aren't worth didley.
you get all of your moose app money back except the $25 app fee for moose and $6.25 for elk isn't even a drop in the bucket for anyone that truly loves hunting .. you'll spend more than that on a pound of powder that goes into the air shooting bullets into a dirt bank but heaven forbid you donate $32 bucks if unlucky too your fish and game department.!

Last edited:
you get all of your moose app money back except the $25 app fee for moose and $6.25 for elk isn't even a drop in the bucket for anyone that truly loves hunting .. you'll spend more than that on a pound of powder that goes into the air shooting bullets into a dirt bank but heaven forbid you donate $32 bucks if unlucky too your fish and game department.!
Lighten up. I've donated a lot to ID FnG. Over the last 45 years, ID FnG Regulations for Big Game have gone from 15 pages to 130 pages!!!!
Their system is bureaucracy at is worst.
Dude, it isn't so much the cost as the FnG principle in Idaho.
Q: Do you or have you worked for FnG? Are you an Idaho resident? How long? Four generations of my family in Idaho.