Wolf Hunting... which state is BEST???

We have thousands! We had three seasons a while back before they shut it down again. Very divided up here. There is a push to open a season again so my fingers are crossed. Fed DNR trapped out 37 within a mile of my house over two years and we still don't have a season. When we had seasons, they allotted roughly 400 wolves. Upon harvest you were to report it and when 400 was hit, season was over that day.
SAME IN WISCONSIN

You do realize that seeing a wolf or two that has gone... whatever pounds, isn't disproving anything, right?

Out of the how many thousands of wolves you guys claim are everywhere, you guys are giving accounts of a few wolves...

You do know how averages work, yes?
Just like how black bears up to 1100lbs have been found doesn't mean black bears are 900+ lbs.

Our DNR talks about live trapping 800lb black bears, you know the average size black bear shot here? It's about 140lbs.

So one off wolves that are 160, 180, etc pounds doesn't mean anything other than they can get that big, and that's a far cry from them being that big in general.

And it doesn't make an average of, say 110lbs any less true. And for what it's worth, Idaho fish and game says 70-110 for males and 60-80 for females. So, 90lbs for males to hit the middle, 70 for female, and to combine them, that'd be an 80lb average... or thereabouts(depending upon sex numbers). MNs International wolf center notes the average male wolf in MN to be about 70-85lbs.

Anyways now in MN they are claiming our average wolf pack is about 3.6 wolves. I'm really beginning to wonder what they're doing with this stuff, isn't 3 a minimum size possible to even be considered a pack?

Doesn't even sound plausible that it's that low, does it sound better to say we have 1,000 packs at 3.6 wolves/pack vs 500 packs at 7.2... or are our wolves starting to become more individualistic?

They noted pack size from 2-7 but is 2 a pack? I mean wouldn't you have to have 3 at least to be a pack, 2 is a pair. Are they getting more funding if pack size is small or what's going on

Maybe the wolves are shacking up with coyotes because they're better company... who knows I guess.

Anyways, it's amusing to see the number of wolves killed by the USDA here, but hey, we can't have a hunting season, I'd hate to bring money in when we could instead pay for a Gov't agent to "manage" them.
Spot on. Giant wolves are the exception to the rule. Look up the records. All the data is there. Look at sci skull records for largest wolf skulls. I have 1 that is a #4 for a bow kill and it's not even close to the top for Alaska wolves. Lower 48 wolves are not that big in general.

0D8618E6-8837-4707-8219-22E9EAEA9B07.jpeg

Spot on. Giant wolves are the exception to the rule. Look up the records. All the data is there. Look at sci skull records for largest wolf skulls. I have 1 that is a #4 for a bow kill and it's not even close to the top for Alaska wolves. Lower 48 wolves are not that big in general.

View attachment 421508
That's a beautiful wolf. Stud too

It really does not matter to me where the wolves came from or what species they are. I know for a fact that I used to enjoy archery hunting on the St. Joe river in Idaho. Lots of elk. Wolves moved in. Elk quit talking and the herd was decimated. I quit hunting for a long time. They are is starting to come back, but nowhere near what it used to be. I feel sorry for my boys and the younger generation. I feel that we do not need more alpha predators in the woods.

I was hunting blm land in the western slopes of the bighorn mountains I'm just telling you what was said to myself and my hunting party.
That makes sense then ! Shoot on site on BLM but I'm pretty sure you don't need a tag. It would be classified same as a coyote. 👍🏼 I haven't heard of any wolves spotted in or near the Bighorn's only father south going into Colorado. If they were in Bighorn's they may not require a tag there on Nat. Forest either because they aren't managed there . Maybe soon ! Already into south west side of state. I Hope you were successful in your hunts !

Marky,..
Here's,. some other PROOF that, the Canadian Wolves, are, MUCH Larger than, Our original, Idaho / Montana, "Native",.. Timber Wolves !
Personally, I'm convinced about, the Wolf Subject as, I know what, a couple of, Biologists, in Idaho have, told Me and,..
I have watched Documentaries about, the Canadian Wolves, taking Down, Buffalo and the Bigger, Moose / Musk Ox, in Canadian, State Parks.
These BIGGER, Wolves, have all but, WIPED OUT, the Elk, in a lot of, Central Idaho !
Our Elk and Moose population, has DROPPED, Big Time compared to, PRE- 2,000- 2005, levels !
I've personally seen these Wolves, Up close ( 3 of them, so far ) 2 at, about, 90-100 Yards ( Pre -Legal to, Shoot ) One at, 35 -40 yards trotting, when, Bow hunting Elk and, I missed him with, my arrow,.. THEY, ARE,.. Big !
Sorry if, the 3 of, us ( 2 guys, listed above, and I ) disagree with you, on "Size" but, MOST, Idaho hunters, want them,.. GONE !
OK, you can scratch, the WORD Tundra out of my Post, IF it makes you, feel better, BUT, they are, STILL the much Bigger,.. Canadian Wolves
This is an old and stupid argument. These wolves have been here now since 1995....near 30 years....are you even that old?

We were always successful even if we didn't fill our tags. Made great memories and great friends while we were there.
You like most hunters I know as they get older it's not all about filling the tag. It's the comraderie, tradition, friends, campfires , stories and getting away from the daily city grind. I got back from an Az. rifle elk hunt couple weeks ago. Burned 13 pts. , $600+ on tag, $.$$$.$$ on fuel., Food, etc.. I didn't fill my tag but I had a great time.

Last edited:
To answer the original question, Idaho. This is due to high numbers, plenty of tags, and very inexpensive tags. Most are killed while hunting other big game. You can use a deer or elk tag on a wolf but it's much cheaper to have a wolf tag in your pocket anytime you are in the Idaho woods.

On another note, living on the WA/ID border, Idaho is doing a good job managing wolf numbers and Washington is not. Washington is also having discussions about doing away with hunting and allowing "predators" to manage big game. That state is is run by a bunch of liberal morons.

Got this one in a snare this year. He is a male. The pelt measures 67 inches from nose tip to the base of the tail. The fur market says over 66 inches is a 3x large.......it weighed 80 pounds. They are not as heavy as people claim. This is my 5th wolf, none over 80 pounds. The black one in my thumbnail picture was a 70 pound female. Wolves have a lot of hair!

Attachments

• S2370002.JPG
    S2370002.JPG
    277.6 KB · Views: 65
To answer the original question, Idaho. This is due to high numbers, plenty of tags, and very inexpensive tags. Most are killed while hunting other big game. You can use a deer or elk tag on a wolf but it's much cheaper to have a wolf tag in your pocket anytime you are in the Idaho woods.

On another note, living on the WA/ID border, Idaho is doing a good job managing wolf numbers and Washington is not. Washington is also having discussions about doing away with hunting and allowing "predators" to manage big game. That state is is run by a bunch of liberal morons.
I truly believe this was all part of their master plan from the start. RMEF and others should be on the steps of the Supreme Court over this!

Got this one in a snare this year. He is a male. The pelt measures 67 inches from nose tip to the base of the tail. The fur market says over 66 inches is a 3x large.......it weighed 80 pounds. They are not as heavy as people claim. This is my 5th wolf, none over 80 pounds. The black one in my thumbnail picture was a 70 pound female. Wolves have a lot of hair!
Interesting. I have only weighed 1. All but 1 have been shot a long way from a road. This blackish Ugly make was 118 lbs, September. It was gross hauling him off the mountain but it was my first bow kill so I wanted to know. I've only killed one other that felt heavier and bigger. I wish I would documented a couple others like the one on the 4 wheeler.
C0E6D40F-EC48-4358-AFCD-91B7FAD76C32.jpeg
593C87AE-7F7D-4316-8301-776E7F312414.jpeg