Wolf Hunting... which state is BEST???

Always wanted to go on a wolf hunt. I did get a chance to get in with some live wolves that were part dog (at least 1%). It was a sanctuary in FL. took several visits and a few hours for them to gain trust to come to you. They are very timid. The wolf in #7 was a female (large) and stood over me when she put her front paws on my shoulders and I am 6'.
The power in them is great. I was sitting for about an hour with her in an enclosure. She had to get used to me first and came over, brushed against me and knocked me over.

Attachments

• P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    332.3 KB · Views: 82
  • P1010007.JPG
    P1010007.JPG
    319.3 KB · Views: 69
  • P1010040.JPG
    P1010040.JPG
    425.7 KB · Views: 77
  • P1010014.JPG
    P1010014.JPG
    414.8 KB · Views: 73
I don't put any merit into what MN says about our wolf population. The 2-3 wolf packs is a joke. The libs in this state want public opinion to be that the wolves are surviving not thriving. Small packs are less "scary" and fits their narrative. Some of the local wardens will be honest when you talk to them. MN released their wolf plan last week. Nothing good in it for management in my opinion. Basically 100% pro wolf plan.

Totally agree 👍🏼

I've seen 3 wolves and got a shot off at one here on the NE side of the Wyo Bighorns. The past 3 seasons I've had more wolves answer elk bugles then elk. No tag necessary -- they are a predator here, same as a coyote, shoot on sight, year around, though there are some rules about reporting a harvest to the G&F.

I know of two taken this fall by ranchers on the south end of the Bighorns near Kaycee (I grew up there). Wolves are tough to find but there are a lot of them around and they have definitely affected the elk patterns. We see at less elk and generally smaller herds in the traditional mountain area, and we're now seeing more elk herds down on hay meadows 15-25 miles from the mountains. I guess elk would rather be shot at for a few weeks a year than harassed by the predator population all year long. Fact is that the wolves will follow the herds and ranchers are seeing tracks down on the flats now.
Good info. I've heard nothing (printed) about wolves in Bighorn's or east of them. Take them out or you'll have the same problem on the North West side and Mt. and Id.... Thank for info. Helps out me and Werely 2262 👍🏼 member since 2013 and New? Come on brother. Stick around for awhile 😉

Last edited:
When I was researching wolf populations and their history a few years ago I was able to find websites discussing the decline of the native US Timber wolf in the late 1800's-early 1900's due to protection of livestock by farmers/ranchers etc.. There were also other websites explaining the introduction (not re-introduction) of Grey wolves from Canada by the US government in the last 30 years that were not considered native to the US. It's harder to find these websites now from my brief search this morning. I'm not trying to start a conspiracy, just what I found.

With all this talk about read the documents........People losing their job for disagreeing.....Documents that have been placed in the round file......... trained professionals say shoot them......
Whats a guy to believe..... ????
do wolves not migrate....????
do wolves not interbreed with dogs and coyotes.....
I believe there is a reason wolves,grizzly bear and other bears were killed to near extinction...... by early settlers...
They eat what we eat.... including us.....
Exactly what I said

There are some interesting documents about super packs a long time ago and killing humans on the prairies.

Today, if managed properly we can control the population. Our ph government paid peeps use helicopters here. They also have paid trappers. So far it's the only way to truly control the population. Hunters alone cannot do it. I hunt, I've killed 17, I don't know any other hunter who has killed that many. Most successful wolfers are trappers. I don't have that kind of time nor the desire.
17 is impressive. How do you do it?

Always wanted to go on a wolf hunt. I did get a chance to get in with some live wolves that were part dog (at least 1%). It was a sanctuary in FL. took several visits and a few hours for them to gain trust to come to you. They are very timid. The wolf in #7 was a female (large) and stood over me when she put her front paws on my shoulders and I am 6'.
The power in them is great. I was sitting for about an hour with her in an enclosure. She had to get used to me first and came over, brushed against me and knocked me over.
Wild wolves on my trail cameras are very timid also.

Lots of luck, time, and persistence. Main reason I got into long range. They are harder to hunt now too. Calling doesn't seem nearly as effective so have to figure out their main routes and play chess.
Congrats! 17 is amazing! I've had zero luck hunting them. I've caught 5 trapping though.
The only guy I know that has had consistent luck with wolves is about 25 years old, in great shape with knees that still work! He has shot 5-6 of them at least. Most of his shots have been long, one was at 970 yards! He hit that one twice! What he does, it glass the ridge tops with a good spotting scope mid day. If he can find them bedded down, he tries to stalk as close as possible. This is steep mountain country though and getting close ain't easy. I don't think he has had a lot of luck calling either.

Recent Posts