best state to hunt wolves

Having lots of public ground is one thing, wolves in that area is another. In SW Montana we have a closed area WMA313 (extension of Yellowstone Park) and the closed Dome Mountain WMA that are safe havens for wolves. Last night the wolves were in 313 howling, but it does nothing for wolf hunters or elk.
We used to be lousy with dumb ones and it was game on.

If you have lots of time or a helicopter come to Montana or Idaho other wise I would say Alaska where politics is not such an issue with killing a mutt!

Having lots of public ground is one thing, wolves in that area is another. In SW Montana we have a closed area WMA313 (extension of Yellowstone Park) and the closed Dome Mountain WMA that are safe havens for wolves. Last night the wolves were in 313 howling, but it does nothing for wolf hunters or elk.
We used to be lousy with dumb ones and it was game on.

If you have lots of time or a helicopter come to Montana or Idaho other wise I would say Alaska where politics is not such an issue with killing a mutt!
Amen Rooster! But we're closer than AK... and I want boots on the ground in Montana... and 'cause I like our elk... a lot!!! and mulies... and... and... :D But , yes, for a wolf specific trip, I doubt a guy could beat a trip to AK. The BS politics in Helena are screwing us a lot harder than those up north.

Minnesota wolf hunting zones contain large amounts of public land. Superior National Forest 3 million acres, Chippewa National Forest 1.6 million acres. The issue in Mn. is getting a lic. they are a draw. Success rates for hunters over the last two year has been about 5%.

Northwest Montana. Thompson river area is full of them. So is vermillion area east of trout creek. Please com up and shoot as many as you can find. As others said they are not easy to find. There is great public access to northwest. Montana and with little to no snow the access is the better than it probably ever has.

Northwest Montana. Thompson river area is full of them. So is vermillion area east of trout creek. Please com up and shoot as many as you can find. As others said they are not easy to find. There is great public access to northwest. Montana and with little to no snow the access is the better than it probably ever has.
+1 on the lack of snow. I hit Murr Cr last week and was blown away by the lack of snow. Then again, trying to find a fresh track with out snow kinda sucked. But getting up into the higher stuff was a cakewalk.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.