With copper shortage and last lead plant being closed we will be facing ammo and reloading supply shortage a while .

I just learned the last lead smelting plant got closed down Sept 6 so they are trying to do away with it all together .Copper is having a shortage from less water to mines and what they use for coins .They are going to make it impossible to make ammo ! I cast my own bullets alot and am trying to get as much as I can now . Its getting so expensive to reload from powder and primers that it's impossible for new reloaders to even try to start now .I try to help people with brass but even that is super expensive now .I didn't like when vista became the largest ammo maker they own almost everthing now and it's easy for them to set the price of shooting supplies .I hope older shooters help younger ones to set up for reloading .
I would not worry about any shortages for rifle/pistol bullets with either copper or lead for a long time. Both Republicans and Liberals have their hands in all those deed pockets. Bullets have to be made per government laws to keep our military's stocked to certain levels.
Liberals cannot that away our firearm's EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT they can start TAXING every single component which would hurt a lot of us. Again only black market bullets would be on the streets by criminals. Not law abiding people!!!!!!

There are zillions of gas powered vehicles on our hi-ways, almost all of which use lead-acid batteries & hopefully recycling efforts will sustain lead supplies. Should our nation be in an extremely desperate situation, there are extensive galena (lead sulfide, PbS) deposits in Missouri that could be exploited. Hate to see salvaged lead shipped to China for recycling & then returned to USA.
Well thats no doubt what would happen, and they could care less that we know the reason.

I can remember when aluminum was used as a substitute for copper in home wiring & subsequent problems that required removal of the aluminum. Silver is a good substitute for copper & tons of silver coins were melted down & used to construct electro-magnetic devices used to manufacture a weapon component to end WWII. Bullets may be made from silver & are recommended for use against certain creatures. Bullets also may contain depleted uranium. Silver is great for making spoons. More big holes (open pit) can be dug for copper. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_copper_mines_in_the_United_States

Last edited:
I'm feeling pretty good about myself to have gathered a grand + pounds of wheel weights many years ago! Of course, lead will be outlawed, so I will be turning it over to the gooberment ! 😉 memtb
68DC6074-F6F5-4925-B6EC-B11AF7D526BD.jpeg

Recent Posts