WipeOut Bore Cleaner Made Easy!

Terrific writeup as usual-- u know JB, i always read your stuff-- the articles on the 20's, and 6.5-284 are very informative. U oughtta be doing it professionally-- PS perhaps???

JB... thanks for the great article... you mentioned that after spraying the foam, just pull the hose out & let it soak; my question is "would you want to plug the chamber to keep the wipeout out of the action bedding etc"? hope that makes sense to you... thanks again, Larry

Hey Larry how's it going? One thing to consider is spraying it through a bore guide. I use the one from sinclair with the rubber doughnut. I found a little rubber grommet that fits perfectly in the bore guide, then give it a squirt, leave the bore guide in the chamber while it soaks.

ArthurJ... thanks so much, that's exactly what I was thinking... really like the wipeout & this will make it a little easier to use... best I've found for overnight soaking; I have a can of Coppermelt which I plan on trying soon... will give a report back if I learn anything interesting... if it's half as good as it's proclaimed, it'll be a great blessing also... thanks again, Larry

Sorry, just saw the replies...

[ QUOTE ]
JB... thanks for the great article... you mentioned that after spraying the foam, just pull the hose out & let it soak; my question is "would you want to plug the chamber to keep the wipeout out of the action bedding etc"? hope that makes sense to you... thanks again, Larry

[/ QUOTE ]

Larry -- sorry, i guess i left one small detail out. The rifle is always tilted forward to keep any drainage towards the muzzle.

Steve/SS -- Doin a little of both -- gotta stick with the horse that brought me to the race with most articles though. If it werent for 6mmbr.com and the guy running it, i wouldnt be writing much if anything.

Would still like to get in PS though...

Actually, my first attempt is headed to Dave B today -- hopefully he likes it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif A bit different material than normal though...

O, BTW -- the 20cal stuff wasnt me, twas Kory H.

CHeers,
JB

Hey JB!!!

Hey JB, Ive been using wipeout for the last several cleanings and like the stuff a lot... more than Sweets, More than CR_10, more than coppermelt, but ive had 3 problems... and im hoping you have experenced/can help with the first...
Every time... and I mean every stinking time I squirt that stuff in, it fills the bore, I leave it alone for a while, come back later, and the foam has run out/retracted into the muzzle some distance... maybe 3/8 or a half inch, and even if the rest of the barrel is done in one pass, I have to redope the muzzle. Any experence along those lines? Ive tried tipping both directions, and horizontal with a level with horizontal being best... but it still happens.

The other 2 complaints are its not fast enough (no I haven't tried the accelerator yet... who carries it anyway? midway was out last I checked) and the third is the stuff smells NOTHING like Hoppes #9!!

Good luck JB. Even if he says no tho-- don't quit. I didn't and it paid off in the end. Kinda nice to get a $400 check in the mail on occasion.

Here is how I've been using it with pretty good results on my bolt guns. I patch out the barrel with Kroil, let it soak a while, and then patch the Kroil out, trying to get loose powder etc. out. I repeat until its fairly clean then patch the excess Kroil out until dry.

Next I plug the chamber with a bore guide that has 2 patches draped over the front of it. This keeps it out of the action. Then I squirt it down the muzzle until it foams out of the muzzle.

The rifle is in a cradle in a level postition. I let it sit for about 2 hours, and then squirt more Wipe Out in. I want to be sure the barrel is full with the Wipe Out. That sits over night, with a loose make shift muzzle plug. A few hours later I turn the rifle 180*. I patch the Wipe Out from the barrel the next day. Then Kroil and a patch down the barrel and its done.

I haven't let my rifles get very dirty yet, so I am not sure how this method would work on a really fouled gun.

It seems to be working for me.

Frank D

I have noticed in my varmint gun it is taking a heck of a long time to get everything out. Last rock chuck trip was a 60 round day. I am rough on this gun because I got it used and am wanting to rebarrel it. Anyway I think I am on the 4th 24 hours soaking with the wipe out. I thinking maybe I should have gave it a cleaning with Butch's bore shine first then tried wipe out. I am still getting dark blean patches after 4 times.

From what I've been told for guns that are really fouled its best to get as much of the carbon out as possible first, then use the accelerator with the Wipe Out.

Frank D

Frank -- I have tried every way to get her in there, but what i worte about is definitely the easiest and cleanest

AB -- i have noticed the retraction, but it still does the job, cause it still made contact. just angle it forward and forget about it. will ususally get drips of blue falling out after a few hours.

Also, if you do it the way i mention this usually lets a big puff of foam hang right at the muzzle and takes care of the problem.

O yea, when you can see thru the bore (as in the foam is totally gone) then its work is done.

AB -- BTW -- i have 2 bottles of accel left if you need one or both. Remember though -- you only need 1 patch/wipeout app.

Steve -- 400$ would be great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Does he pay by the word /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

JB

...my greatest benefit from the wipeout was after thoroughly cleaning with shooter's choice (butch's etc); sweets for the copper etc... after you're satisfied it's clean, then soak it overnight in wipeout... was a humbling experience to see all the copper that was soaked loose from the wipeout foam... also, have some coppermelt to try just "patching out" the barrel with... will report back if I learn anything worthwhile... thanks so much, Larry

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.