GM Top Engine Cleaner ?

ol mike

Howdoo,

I bought a can of this top engine cleaner to clean the carbon out of my barrels and off the brass.
Can someone tell me where the carbon ring generally gets in the barrel?
I don't have a bore scope to check the barrels condition and can't see or feel anything w/a patch.
Will this carbon build up after each short shooting session?
Also if remember right it's carbon first then copper removal<right?
Thanks in advance Mike

Mike,

In all my years of shooting/reloading/shooting some more I've never experienced the carbon ring. Maybe I'm not thorough enough to notice but I'm pretty thoro. I caught a hint from a thread that mentioned something about it being right at the mouth of the case. The recommendation was to not trim too short. I've had experience with too long of a case, not good!

GM Top Engine cleaner is pretty good stuff. It smells a bit and I wear rubber gloves when I use it. Don't know if the gloves are all that necessary (my reproductive years are over /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

You have the GM TEC , look at the ingredients . Now ask around if you don't have any but get a look at Butches Bore Shine ingredients . So , Butches is being touted by big league shooters , good ! .that means you can use the GM TEC for less than 1/2 cost /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

They are the same and GM TEC was here first , draw your own conclusions. I know they are a diff color and smell but hey ! thats marketing . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Since the bullet is first down the bore with the powder gases fouling things next and this is repeated each time you shoot then the carbon fouling must be dealt with first .At least that is how I attack the problem .

I think that Roy has a good point as most of us that don't shoot competively may not create a carbon ring since we don't shoot fast enough to bring about the conditions that contribute to a carbon ring buildup , I think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

All that being said I use the GM TEC and have been able to keep my bbl clean enough so that when I introduce a new cleaning agent it does not produce any evidence of a fouled bbl. I also use Barnes CR 10 in my cleaning regimen as well as Kroil .

Jim B.

Thanks Roy and Jim,

I'll just sowse a little in the first few inchs of barrel for the fun of it.
I have noticed some carbon at the necks of some brass after the 2nd loading.So i'll give it a dose also.
I just had a brainstorm of an idea >>>i'll use some in my truck too.--Mike

I've been using GM TEC mixed 2:1 with Kroil to clean all my rifles, both in the shop and our BR guns,it replaced Shooter's Choice for me. My wife and I also use it to clean the outside of our case necks on our BR rifles.

There is somethin called seafoam that does the same thing as i dont know if the chemical compounds are the same but it takes the carbon out of the engine. It does actually work too. Anyway you can get at napa or probably any other machanical place. Its usally anywhere from $3-6.

Thought i would through it out there.

Howdoo,

I bought a can of this top engine cleaner to clean the carbon out of my barrels and off the brass.
Can someone tell me where the carbon ring generally gets in the barrel?
I don't have a bore scope to check the barrels condition and can't see or feel anything w/a patch.
Will this carbon build up after each short shooting session?
Also if remember right it's carbon first then copper removal<right?
Thanks in advance Mike
First, get a bore scope..

Mike,

In all my years of shooting/reloading/shooting some more I've never experienced the carbon ring. Maybe I'm not thorough enough to notice but I'm pretty thoro. I caught a hint from a thread that mentioned something about it being right at the mouth of the case. The recommendation was to not trim too short. I've had experience with too long of a case, not good!

GM Top Engine cleaner is pretty good stuff. It smells a bit and I wear rubber gloves when I use it. Don't know if the gloves are all that necessary (my reproductive years are over /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)
^^^^^^^ ShoNuff ^^^^^^^

Last edited: