Wind(s) for this shot

Thanks for everyone's replies. Do y'all have pictures to share and what your experience is for that location.

Do yourself a favor and video your shots. In mtn terrain you can see splash going all directions within a few seconds at times. I had 1 at 1400 that literally the dust went opposite directions in the time it took to cycle the bolt and send the next round. Usually it is more of a slight change in velocity or direction but it is quite common to see enough change to go from left edge to right edge of a target to even be close to being in the kill zone.

This is a book I got recently to learn more, just getting back reading it again after busy holidays. It explains weather and how it affects wind(s).

I also like use Windy.com wind feature to see what the major winds should be doing today and days ahead.
s-l400.jpg

The easiest way to find out is send a duster shot,,, then dial over to it to get things under way on the gongs...

Jack and roll as fast as you can to lesson the chances of wind change up...

Cheers from the North
I would agree, this is probably the fastest way to get on target, unless you are very good at reading variable wind conditions. But if the OP is looking for first round hits, a la a hunting situation, he's going to want to learn how to get it on target the first time. I assume that is the motivation behind this thread.

I'm all for using first shot to correct, as needed, but would prefer to make a better first shot if possible.

If you want to get better at cold barrel shots at distance under various real world conditions, don't use spotting shots.

Actually learn how to read the wind. Learn the science, develop the art, learn how to add and subtract from your wind hold and learn when you are going to decide if you are going to use your average or high wind to make your shot. You don't learn anything when you do a spotter shot and simply hold over for a shot correction. And it doesn't help you when you change location and the wind is different or if there is a shift in thermals changing winds in your hunting spot.

This is a book I got recently to learn more, just getting back reading it again after busy holidays. It explains weather and how it affects wind(s).

I also like use Windy.com wind feature to see what the major winds should be doing today and days ahead. View attachment 168024

Fire can create its own weather but during a fire it makes it really easy to see what's going on

Thanks

Buck

If trying to learn to read the wind, get a buddy and send him down range and pop smoke at different spots while you watch. Wind flows like water comment pretty much nails it.
I think FTW Ranch had a video up where they did that for their students after they had made their guesses on wind calls.
I am a student not an expert. YMMV

If trying to learn to read the wind, get a buddy and send him down range and pop smoke at different spots while you watch. Wind flows like water comment pretty much nails it.
I think FTW Ranch had a video up where they did that for their students after they had made their guesses on wind calls.
I am a student not an expert. YMMV

Thanks will see if can find this FTW video

A ton of guessing go
What kind and how many different winds could I have to deal with in the attached picture. If I was at red x in bottom middle of picture by aspens and shooting across to top of distant hill just outside the trees. Appreciate input to learn. ThanksView attachment 167928
Way too many variables to even guess.

I can easily see the possibility of rising and falling winds and cross winds but without even a starting wind direction relative to the line of sight at the firing point it's anyone's guess.
Exactly..fire a round observe POI and correct for!

What kind and how many different winds could I have to deal with in the attached picture. If I was at red x in bottom middle of picture by aspens and shooting across to top of distant hill just outside the trees. Appreciate input to learn. ThanksView attachment 167928

And by the fist: I get .5 degrees down for a cosine of 0.99996192306. You'll need to lase or mil it.

Depends on which way the wind is coming from. Wind is like water. Whatever a wave of water would do, air does.

edit: somebody stole my line! Dang it

Depends on which way the wind is coming from. Wind is like water. Whatever a wave of water would do, air does.

edit: somebody stole my line! Dang it

Out here and up on the central plains at least you can watch the "waves" expressed as the wind moves across grass, kicks up dust/sand, moves across wheat fields etc.

Where I grew up shooting in eastern and central NM, you have little of that. The "sand" is mostly decomposed granite and other igneous rock that takes a tremendous wind to move and there's very little grass.

Mirage becomes your friend believe it or not because it too can show those "waves" at work.

In the mountains I hunt I am always amazed at how much the afternoon winds updraft affect my shot.I do alot of rock shots in spring bear season where I hunt muley.Helps me alot

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.