Wind(s) for this shot

Blancoalex

What kind and how many different winds could I have to deal with in the attached picture. If I was at red x in bottom middle of picture by aspens and shooting across to top of distant hill just outside the trees. Appreciate input to learn. Thanks
IMG_2170_kindlephoto-6510307.jpg

I see a potential of four wind variables...depending upon time of day...
1st...shooting down the canyon...updraft...
2nd..around the front of hill to left...swirling..cornering wind...
3rd..across the next valley...straightened wind..
4th..wind cutting up the far valley or coming down.....
I see across the valley and going up or down the far valley being toughest to guess because of the distance the bjllet has traveled...less energy....

Thanks 26reload , I will try to find few more pics and serneros to learn more. Appreciate your help.

I agree for the most part ^

1. Definitely no contest on updraft in the valley

2. No contest on the first hill swirling, but I think it will be cornering with favoring direction of left head like wind with turbulent updraft if left wind or

wind still updraft because of the tree line but straighten wind with up updrafts from the tree line if from the right.

3. No contest on wind at the target

4. I'm guessing that there's a 10 o'clock head wind in the afternoons at the ffp and a 5 o'clock tailwind in the evenings or vice versa.

How about this one,
123_1_kindlephoto-10957817.jpg
late afternoon with 10 o'clock wind. Bottom hill and second one uphigh. Two winds?

Pretty much a straight 10 o'clock at the shooter with small swirls from the trees.

Updraft from the trees at max ord. Mid range.

At the far target add another updraft up the hill with swirls going up and left to right would be my initial guess.

This is a good thread OP...we should have more of these post on here.

An idea of range would help also...
Right x only looks a couple hundred yards...doubt wind would be adverse unless it was 30mph....
Left x definitely gonna catch some deflection of winds coming over the ridge...(actually did some shooting at 600 on the edge of a ridge fhis year....variable winds...very trying)

One final one for this evening. As shooter feel 1 o'clock wind coming down the canyon. Close right shot 600yds. Left-hand one 1200yds. Judging by picture early afternoon. Thanks
030_longrangedownbarrel_kindlephoto-14064001.jpg

It would have been funny if you put the x on the house lol

id be looking for up canynon wind then try to figure out if there is a left or right wind break.

I would add a little for updraft, but this I would have to see the conditions to even have a guess. There is for sure a up slope wind that is the initial "water flow." Somewhere there is going to be a rainbow of wind that will make a turbulent eddy. which side? I'm not sure, but I'd look for it. If I could fine that, I'd have a good guess where the left and right breaks in the canynon are. Another good one OP.
Are you going to give us any of your findings? Or are you trying to refine your skills how to read wind terrain?

What kind and how many different winds could I have to deal with in the attached picture. If I was at red x in bottom middle of picture by aspens and shooting across to top of distant hill just outside the trees. Appreciate input to learn. ThanksView attachment 167928
Way too many variables to even guess.

I can easily see the possibility of rising and falling winds and cross winds but without even a starting wind direction relative to the line of sight at the firing point it's anyone's guess.

One final one for this evening. As shooter feel 1 o'clock wind coming down the canyon. Close right shot 600yds. Left-hand one 1200yds. Judging by picture early afternoon. Thanks View attachment 167943
It'll run slightly down slope right to left then up slope across the edge to your far target. Probably a slight rise as well for both shots.

Canyon winds though can to some really weird stuff. Sometimes if there's a mist you'l see a swirl forming low in the valley or in saddles similar to a "roll cloud" ahead of a thunderstorm.

For that shot you'd need good observation of environmental wind indicators like dust/sand, moving vegetation etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.