Wind(s) shot #2

Blancoalex

I guess this would represent shooting into a bowl with the biggest influence being the wind at the shooter.
Long-Range-High-Angle-Shot_kindlephoto-15147870.jpg

My thoughts...not near the experience as other guys, especially in mountains.
A headwind would really funnel and have 11:00/1:00 effects depending on which x
3:00 wind will have most effect on the right x and vice versa with 9;00 on the left x.
I think the hills will shelter the shooting positions on their respective sides

Too much detail for here but it you read Litz's book Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting he talks quite a bit on shooting in terrain with serve vertical changes. The change in vertical terrain would be more of a factor than the wind blowing in your face.

My thoughts...not near the experience as other guys, especially in mountains.
A headwind would really funnel and have 11:00/1:00 effects depending on which x
3:00 wind will have most effect on the right x and vice versa with 9;00 on the left x.
I think the hills will shelter the shooting positions on their respective sides
Yep. What's happening at the shooters position that might be misleading?

Turbulence from the hill face you're shooting from?

Sure! There's definitely going to be a updraft, but how much wind coming over to the shooter depends on the edge of that face and if it's not super cliff like then there might be some smooth wind coming up. If it creates a high pressure wind into a hill/cliff face it's called katabatic wind.

Basically if you set up a kestrel right there to get your baseline, i would personally like to make sure that the wind at the shooter isn't giving a false baseline since in this particular scenario, a potential katabatic wind would have about 35 ft at the most affect on the bullet. The rest of the wind with exception to the obvious swirls around the trees at the target is probably going to be relatively straight forward.

If you determined that the wind at the shooter is 10 mph but 35 ft off the cliff and the majority of the wind mid range to the target is 4 mph, I think it's a little easier to imagine that you want to consider your 4-7 mph dope, even though your kestrel is giving you a solution for 10.

My example isn't definitive obviously but something to look at when considering terrain/katabatic wind.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.