Shot 2 coyotes yesterday evening

remingtonman_25_06

Went out coyote hunting with my dad and ended up shooting 1 on the way up there. He was off the road about 150 yards just looking for mice. I had my .220 swift with 40g BT at 4400fps. Just as my dad stopped the car, the yote was runnin over the hill, but 1 well placed shot up the rear was all he could handle. That little bullet made quite a mess for an entrance wound, no exit wound. We drove up the road a little ways more and there was another one standing off to my dads side. He had his .270 WSM with 140g SST's. The coyote was standing there at about 100 yards, but my dad forgot to take his safety off and right as he was squeezin the trigger, the coyote took off. Ha ha ha. 3 shots later and that coyote was doing mach 10. Not to bad, not even to the hunting destination yet and we already seen 2 coyotes and shot 1. After a while we stopped at an old bridge and decided to glass some big wheat fields. I saw a yote standing at the edge of a field some 450 yards away. I really wished I woulda had my 25-06 with my target scope because I held a little over that coyote with my swift and who knows where I hit. Ha ha. I need to get that swift a 6-18 target scope and then that coyote woulda been toast. Oh well though. On the way home we went by an old farmhouse that breeds pheasants. I happened to look up and see a yote coming down the hill towards the barn. I did not have time to rangefind it, but knew it was inside 350 yards so I just held dead on. Coyote dropped dead in its tracks. Later rangefinded it at 325 yards. The little 40g at 4400fps really tears them yotes a new one. I drilled the big female right behind the shoulder. The entrance hole again was devastating, but no exit wound. Overall it turned out to be a pretty decent night for coyotes.

Nice shooting, and it sounds like a lot of fun. The only coyotes I have ever seen were comming to my turkey call. (guess it doesn't say much for my turkey calling capabilities)

The area between Wallula Junction and Helix can hold some big yotes. Several years ago I did the plumbing on a new house out there between S Juniper canyon road and Helix. Brang my "swift" after the first days drive seeing several yotes. Also some nice pheasant country in the bottom of the dry creeks beds and such.
Nice shot on a running coyote. Those are always fun. Some skill --and some luck. The easy ones are when they run right strait away from you. Have you tried calling them yeyt?

Funny you say that. Thats almost EXACTLY to a T where we go hunting for them yotes. UP there where they put all them big windmills. That is also awesome big muley country. I have tried our foxpro gamecaller, but these coyotes around here are pretty dang call smart. Usually they go the other way. Our best luck is driving around running into them. I think I have shot 42 coyotes now. GIve or take a couple, and most have been around there, or above milton freewater.

call smart- good way to put it. The only thing I called in one morning out there was some muley does. I thought that was really strange. I've also seen some elk in that country, which I thought was strange also. 42 coyotes is a lot, no sense in me hunting over there -you've probably shot them all. I agree about the big muleys. I had a buddy that was trying to shoot one w/ his bow. WE went scouting out around there several evenings before dark and took some pictures of a few very tall and wide antlered bucks. The light was dime and the pictures were kinda blurry, but you coud tell how nice those bucks were. I think my buddy realized the area was too open for a bow. And I just guesed thats where you were hunting the yotes. There all lots and lots of little springs and creeks that wind their way around.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.