Wind(s) for this shot

Have to agree rocks make nice biodegradable targets that make you range them 1st and then start planning your shot. All this great info will help to reach out to the further ones.

I really have no idea how any of you are making any estimates on any winds.
I'm just trying to guess the distances.

It does make for interesting, informative reading and nice scenery.

Someday I hope to hunt something similar.
Minus the house of course.

I really have no idea how any of you are making any estimates on any winds.
I'm just trying to guess the distances.

It does make for interesting, informative reading and nice scenery.

Someday I hope to hunt something similar.
Minus the house of course.
Guess distances? Get a rangefinder, my friend :) No reason to range anything with a scope anymore.

Good point.

and
I was referring to the distances in the pics
Lol

I'm new at this, the only way I can tell the wind is by watching the sage grass(bluestem) lean in my pasture where I shoot.

This is good info.

I've got a friend who is going to let me on his 1200 yrd range.

I really don't even know where to start.
Have never shot at a target over 500 yards.
I believe I've got My gun and load ready.

Now to work on my shooting basics and techniques.

Good point.

and
Lol

I'm new at this, the only way I can tell the wind is by watching the sage grass(bluestem) lean in my pasture where I shoot.

This is good info.

It's not hard. Just go do it. You'll figure it out from there. Post results

Good point.

and
Lol

This is good info.

26 and I were just depicting to the OPs question our educated guess on wind based off terrain. Wind terrain is just one tool of many tools in the wind. There are no general rules of thumb other than do the best you can. With experience comes results.

start with the attached. The decimals on the wind rose are cosines. Use them, stay away from those stupid military clocks, they are about as accurate as the army's interpretation on humidity affect on external ballistics. If you can get first round impacts at 500 on a 2 moa target or smaller, start moving out to further distances. Around 1000 most of us start zoning our winds, putting priority at the shooter and doing the best we can at mid range and target, and documenting patterns. The training part of it to learn is not to walk the bullet on, but to learn to make collect the information, make a plan, stick with it, and figure out where you when wrong and why. Then go back and do it all over again, until you start noticing a pattern in mistakes and success.
This is usually a good way to start. If you don't care then you can walk your bullet on to the target and you don't really have to worry about it.

Attachments

• DA57E47F-79A9-4408-A0BA-D2778E0CDD5D.jpeg
    DA57E47F-79A9-4408-A0BA-D2778E0CDD5D.jpeg
    195.3 KB · Views: 136
Good point.

and
Lol

This is good info.

I am not far ahead of you. Where I live the earth truly is flat. Hard to find long range you can see over the grass. No elevation changes. I have a couple of places to shoot and I do some shooting in West Texas. Practice 300 yds with 22. Google the Precision Rifle Expo and watch to see if they put it on in Blakey Georgia again. The guy teaching the wind seminar was worth the drive. Sorry for the thread hijack.

Thanks
Guys
I've not really ever given wind any thought.
Haven't shot far enough yet.
But I guess to stretch, I'll have to start.

Df, thanks for the chart. I'll study that.

I never knew that dang calculus class would ever come in handy. Wish now I'd made a higher grade.
Lol

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.