Shot a coyote this morning

remingtonman_25_06

Went out yote hunting this morning with my dad and had success. We were just driving back country farm roads in hopes of catching one running around. I spotted this one crossing the road and by the time I jumped out and got on him he was about 200. 1 shot with the swift and the 40g vlc at 4500fps and he was a dead yote. I was not exactly aiming for the head, but hey, it works /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

nlbf4h.jpg

Remington 25-06,

I can only imagine what the other side of that coyotes head looks like-4500fps.
Is a vlc a barnes bullet?
Glad to see another coyote on the ground for you.You got the -life of riley- out Oregon way -plenty of open country shooting.
I'm also a big 25-06 fan had one since 1980 rem bdl ,got a new hs precision thumbhole stock sitting at fed-ex to be delivered monday.
Anyway keep pounding them coyotes ! you're making them ranchers proud. Mike

Nice looking yote! I'm liking this now that you leanred how to post pictures. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Yah the other side of that yotes head had a hole the size of my fist. His brain actually fell out when I picked him up. Yes, the vlc is barnes varmint bullet. It has the blue coating on it. Adds about 200fps for this particular load. Pretty accurate to. I broke the extractor off my model 70 25-06. I haven't shot it since november. No money to fix it, so the swift has been getting all the coyote action this winter. Usually my 25-06 is the rifle I take just incase they dont want to come in, or I see one sitting in the middle of a wheat field. Then I wished I had my 300 RUM, haha.

Many moons ago when I first started loading ammo (11 months ago) me and BJ Bailey were loading the 125gr Ballistic Tip in our 300 RUM's to 3960fps. We came across a 5 day old dead coyote in the middle of winter. We propped him up against a stump and BJ backed off about 100yds. The shot caught him facing us in the center of the neck. The shot flipped the dog over and on closer inspection the dog looked like you took a meat cleaver to him.

He split in half about 1/2 the way down his body and all of the contents of his insides were painting the surronding prairie.

In November I caught a yote at about 320yds with the 270 AM, ****!!!!!!!

sucker looked like you threw a football through his side

take it easy
steve

lerch

Yah I bought 1 box of the 125g btips to try out of my RUM as well. I used RL-22 and got 3950fps with .75" at 100 yards. I never did find a yote to blast although I knew if I did, the outcome would probly not be to pretty. I set up a milk jug filled with water on top of a post and let me tell you when that 125g bullet hit, there was a vaporized mist cloud about 10ft in diameter and there was not a single drop of water on that post. I was thinking that If I were to catch a yote with that bullet, he would probly almost be ripped in half. The worst exit I've got froma yote has been with my 210g VLD's at 3000fps. I've shot 2 with them at ranges of 120 yards, and 275 yards. I'll try to post a pic of the exit at 120 yards. Its about the size of a small mini dunker basketball and hair poofed and blew out the other side for about 10 yards. Also flipped that yote sideways and 180 degrees. Poor yote /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.