Winchester Model 70 7mm STW - build advice

floatflyer

I have a Winchester model 70 in 7mm STW, 1:9 twist, CRF, that I want to build and am looking for some advice. It seems there is no shortage of options for the Remington but the Winchester is left wanting. I have my heart set on the Manners MCH-ES1/1A stock, but am looking for advice on DBM, trigger and whether to rebarrel so I can shoot the Barnes 168 grain LRX. The rifle will be used for long-range hunting, Caribou, Moose, etc. I have been counseled that the model 70's action isn't really worth working on (truing action, lapping lugs, etc.), just get a Remington (which I guess is an option). Thanks in advance.

I built the exact Gun you are speaking about. I didn't change the bottom. Tuned the stock trigger in a hs stock. Made a 29 inch barrel and she is heavy and accurate. You can do it just have to find the smith

a 1:9 twist will stabilize any 168 or 180 grain bullet. you only need faster if you want to shoot heavier than that.

The Model 70 action is great. If your gunsmith told you that they are junk and not worth working on, I would find a new gunsmith. He is looking at easy work for the Rem action. Yes, not as many options as the Rem actions, but you can still get most of what you want.

I have multiple M70 actions, all are great. One is a 7mm STW Laredo, and it is a tack driver.

For triggers, you can have the factory one worked really well, mine is just under 3 lbs and it is silky smooth. Then you can look at Timney triggers for an aftermarket setup. For the box, I do not know of any aftermarket DBM that will work with the long stw's. I put in a Wyatt's box, and now I can set mine out to about 3.8" if needed. The action will need some work and the bottom metal changed to a 1 piece setup.

For the barrel and the barnes, you will more than likely need a 1:8" twist as they are some long slugs.

Greg Tannel is a great gunsmith that will work on mod 70s. He can also cut the freebore to whatever you like so that it will run in the magazine. Just send him a dummy round and he'll build your gun around that however you want.

His work is not cheap but your action will be a barrel tester when you get it back.

Barnes recommends 1:8 for that bullet, and at 3100fps it's considered "marginally stable" per Berger's stability calculator. Not saying it won't work--but just FYI.

Can you use a factory (Winchester) single piece bottom metal with the Wyatt's box or is a aftermarket bottom metal required?

Thanks for all the replies.

I think a Winchester 1 piece bottom metal will work, might have to do some fitting though. I had to change mine to a PTG bottom metal since mine was a 2 piece setup.

Bill

a 1:9 twist will stabilize any 168 or 180 grain bullet. you only need faster if you want to shoot heavier than that.
That's not necessarily true. The monolithic bullets are MUCH longer than traditional jacketed lead bullets so with the 7mm's if you plan to shoot non lead above 165-170gr it's time to move to a 1:8 twist.

I thought the same as you do until I really started digging into it and found out that I had some more learnin' to do.gun)

I stand corrected.

Guess I am not very familiar with monolithic bullets. I did not realize they were that long

The Model 70 is a great action and will work fine. However, unless your action a pre-64 which has a one piece bolt handle/bolt design, it is a good idea to have your gunsmith tack weld the bolt handle sleeve to the bolt body. It is a press fit, 2 pc design on the post 64's and has the possibility of working loose. I have seen this happen on a few occasions over the years.

I stand corrected.

Guess I am not very familiar with monolithic bullets. I did not realize they were that long
That's the beauty of this site a guy can learn something here literally every time he logs in if he has as much as a half hour to look around.

I thought a 1:9 twist just as you would handle any current production 7mm and found out I was wrong just a few weeks ago.

One of us learns something, shares it here and boom there it is for all. This is the absolute best site on the internet that I've found for actually learning something of value on a regular basis.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts