Winchester 1885 action

I own two 1885's, and would snatch another if it came my way. One is 38-55 Hunter, and the other is a .223 Lo-Wall. Stole the Lo-Wall! The wood to metal fit is among the best I've ever seen on any gun. The Hunters came in a stain finish with the usual octagon barrel. Flip up tang sight and cut on the front for a spirit level sight. The Lo-Wall came is a high gloss finish. The real issue with them is finding bases for them. Just about everybody has quit making them. I managed to get the last set of Burris bases they had in their warehouse a few years back. Leopold catalogs them, but they come with the wrong screws, and they are not smart enough to send the right ones.

Only thing close to 1885's would be a Savage 99.
gary

Normally the best thing to do about the scope mounts is to mount them on the barrel shank. I use barrels with a 5" or 6'' shank and this makes mounting/drilling easy for almost any base. It ends in about the same place as on a bolt action receiver.

With the straight shank, all you have to do if you want a two piece base is to buy two front or two rear bases the same height. The Picatinny base can also be used.

The High Wall (1885 or B 78) is a true falling Block action along with the sharps and are very compact in length allowing 28 to 30'' barrels without making the rifle ungainly and long. The Ruger is a little longer because of its design, but is a true Falling Block also. Other lever actions have a totally different lock up (More like a bolt action and are much longer in action length.

In the right (Experienced) hands, follow up shots can be very fast in these actions.

Like I said, I love these actions.

J E CUSTOM

Normally the best thing to do about the scope mounts is to mount them on the barrel shank. I use barrels with a 5" or 6'' shank and this makes mounting/drilling easy for almost any base. It ends in about the same place as on a bolt action receiver.

With the straight shank, all you have to do if you want a two piece base is to buy two front or two rear bases the same height. The Picatinny base can also be used.

The High Wall (1885 or B 78) is a true falling Block action along with the sharps and are very compact in length allowing 28 to 30'' barrels without making the rifle ungainly and long. The Ruger is a little longer because of its design, but is a true Falling Block also. Other lever actions have a totally different lock up (More like a bolt action and are much longer in action length.

In the right (Experienced) hands, follow up shots can be very fast in these actions.

Like I said, I love these actions.

J E CUSTOM
I used to work with a couple guys that had 25-06 Hi Wall's. Both were 3/4" five shot rifles out of the box. My 38-55 won't come close to that, but it's never meant to shoot like that. Almost wish it was a 30-30 at times, or better yet a 40-65. I did order in a second 38-55 Hunter with the plan on rebarreling it. The rifle never came in.

The Lo-Wall was setting on the used rifle shelf in a big box store for $665. I saw it and took a look at it. Was new and unfired. The salesman said a guy bought it and returned it the next day with out the hang tags or box! That's why it was sold as a used gun. They were going for about $1100 ten feet away! As I walked over to pay for it; two guys came in to buy it!
gary

I began dreaming of a browning B-78 in 1988. I met a man who had one in a 25-06 in Durango, Colorado. He had killed several elk with it. I was in love at first sight! It was so elegant and the fit and finish was amazing. I was young and poor so I continued dreaming. In 1992 I saw my first 1885. It was a "Wyoming Centennial". In 1990, Browning had made 1000 of these models chambered in 25-06. it sported a 30" octogonal barrel, gold engraved receiver and buckhorn sights. The wood was amazing and it shouldered like a dream. I was still poor so I had to keep dreaming. The 1885 had replaced the B-78 and was no longer chambered in the 25-06. The Highwall version went 22-250, 270, 7mm RM, 30-06. Finally in 2000, my wife gave me the last $200 I needed and I bought an 1885 in the 7mm for $750. It was freeking gorgeous! Dark figured walnut stock, 28" octogonal barrel, I had waited 12 years but it was worth it. I decided on the 140 grain Nosler. In load development, it has never shot a group larger than 1.25". I settled on 65 gr of IMR4350 at just under 3400 fps. The 30" barrelled 1885 is the same overall length as a 24" long action rifle and a little barrel heavy, which I like. I had finally shot out my old 25-06 barrel so the 1885s timing was perfect. I've killed 40 or so deer and 3 elk with it. In 2006 i found a "Wyoming Centennial" on the web and snatched it up. I also ended up with a 22-250 in the highwall. I love them. The fore stock is attached to a hanger, so the barrel is naturally free floated. All three of mine have been tack drivers! It is my all time favorite rifle.

I've seen 38-55's punch out very nice groups with cast bullets.
I had a buddy that was a big time black powder shooter. He was seriously big on long range shooting. He begged me to try black powder in the 38-55, but I didn't have the heart! Then he brings me a dozen beautifully crafted 38-55 cartridges sized to .3785", and loaded with black powder. I still have all twelve! He has three or four 38-55 rifles and shoots nothing but BPMC in them. I know one shoots clover leafs at two hundred yards! Another really interesting rifle (some kind of falling block that I've never seen before) is chambered in 45-60. His bullet molds are custom, and this rifle is solid out to 750+ yards. He also has a couple 40-60 chambered rifles, and these guns shoot big round holes as far as he wants to (think 1000 yards).

When I got the 38-55, I found out that there were two or three bore diameters the hard way. I called Browning, and one guy said .376", and another said .377". Russ took the rifle home with him one weekend and slugged the barrel. .3767 was the diameter (he actually slugged it five times to be sure. He said there were no tight spots and it actually seemed to get tighter towards the muzzle. How often does that happen? Knowing Russ, I'm surprised he didn't put a dozen rounds thru the barrel!

A few years back, I ran across an 1885 chambered in 45-70. Had zero interest in the 45-70, but the rifle was mint condition. They wanted $1100 for it! I'd have gone $750 or even $850. Had I got it, I'd have rebarreled it to something like 45-60 or even 40-60.
gary

i recently talked to my gunsmith, some of you may know him. lee shaver. he told me i can build any cartridge i want on the c.sharps action and it will handle it just fine. the problem is in the extractor. he also told me he can add an extractor to it. so, if i cant find what i want, for a few $ extra ill have him help me build a coustom

Or, and I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, what about an 1885 style lever on a ruger #1. The ruger actions are easy to get. I just prefer the 1885 lever look. Any takers?
If you're interested in an 1885 style lever on a ruler , get a # 3 Ruger, it already has that style lever from the factory.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.