Winchester 1885 action

6mm06guy

I'm in love with the 1885. The look, feel, everything. The problem, winchester has almost completely discontinued there new 1885 rifles. I would love to build one in a custom 300 Winchester Mag ,270 wsm, and or a wildcat cartridge. Does anyone make an action as strong as the new winchesters? Or do I need to just pony up the dough on the 7mm remington mag I found and rebarrel. I have a machinist buddy who might be able to make me a few copies with time, but I would still have to have one to copy first.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Or, and I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, what about an 1885 style lever on a ruger #1. The ruger actions are easy to get. I just prefer the 1885 lever look. Any takers?

Interesting. If you get it together I'd like to see it. I didn't realize the 1885's were made for a magnum cartridge.

I'm already 3 deep in wild hair projects or I might join you.

Mine is in traditional 45/70. All done up as a LR. Custom pointy 405 grain case bullets.
Maybe someday I''ll make and additional barrel in something else.

I'm already 3 deep in wild hair projects or I might join you.
Only 3? Goodness, what do you do with your spare time?

The 1885 action is called a HI Wall, And for many years Browning made them (Modern actions and materials),before Winchester started back making them.

The browning's were originally called the B-78 and later became the 1885. They are beautiful and very strong. (They came in most Magnum calibers like 7mm RM and 300 Win Mag).

I have owned Many 1885's and still own some including one that I barreled up in a 45/120 sharps that uses a 625 grain bullet at over 1700 ft/sec.

The Ruger #1 (Is Based on the Farquhason action) and the B78 / 1885 in the modern form are very strong and can be loaded to SAMME spec. pressure (60,000 psi) if the cartridge requires). they can handle any modern cartridge.

It is one of my favorite single shot actions for looks and strength. It is a little difficult to work on but worth it in the end.

Good luck on your search for one (Many Browning 1885's and B78's are out there, and in my opinion, the Browning's are better quality than the Winchesters, especially the wood and finish on the action.

J E CUSTOM

.....Only 3? Goodness, what do you do with your spare time?.......

Wait-got a Bartlein barrel 6 months out 1-6" twist 6.5 barrel. Look-for a Kepplinger or Canjar #1 trigger. Wish-my gunsmith would put my Winchester 100 together now all the components are here. Play with the ones I've got.

I haven't seen one in awhile, but a few #1's got chambered locally this way. Very impressive.

Rimmed cartridges and single shots just go together.

I see quite a few at gun shows and they normally run somewhere around $1,000.00 plus or minus. If you look hard sometimes you can find one that has not been shot very much and with beautiful wood and blueing. A good gunsmith can chamber almost any cartridge in it because of the flat face of the falling block, But you may find one in the cartridge you want to make it easier.

With the action being very short, a 28'' barrel comes with most, and a longer barrel looks good and the overall rifle is still not long. My 45/120 has a heavy contour and is 34'' for the black powder cartridge for velocity.

I don't know anything about the after market actions, but the Browning's are top quality. (I don't like the blueing on the Winchester because it is more of a mat finish).

I also like the Low wall for the less powerful cartridges, and build myself a 22 K Hornet on an original 1883 Winchester that Is deadly, (And beautiful).

I love the single shot falling blocks including the Sharps.

J E CUSTOM

The 1885 action is called a HI Wall, And for many years Browning made them (Modern actions and materials),before Winchester started back making them.

The browning's were originally called the B-78 and later became the 1885. They are beautiful and very strong. (They came in most Magnum calibers like 7mm RM and 300 Win Mag).

I have owned Many 1885's and still own some including one that I barreled up in a 45/120 sharps that uses a 625 grain bullet at over 1700 ft/sec.

The Ruger #1 (Is Based on the Farquhason action) and the B78 / 1885 in the modern form are very strong and can be loaded to SAMME spec. pressure (60,000 psi) if the cartridge requires). they can handle any modern cartridge.

It is one of my favorite single shot actions for looks and strength. It is a little difficult to work on but worth it in the end.

Good luck on your search for one (Many Browning 1885's and B78's are out there, and in my opinion, the Browning's are better quality than the Winchesters, especially the wood and finish on the action.

J E CUSTOM
J E, I sent you a PM

The Hi Wall I have is 45/70. A 45/120 Black Powder Cartridge would be fantastic but I would not shoot it as much as the 45/70.

Once I get casting, I make a large lot of bullets. Then load in 100 rounds batches. Once the bullets are there, 100 rounds lasts 2 or 3 weeks.

I own two 1885's, and would snatch another if it came my way. One is 38-55 Hunter, and the other is a .223 Lo-Wall. Stole the Lo-Wall! The wood to metal fit is among the best I've ever seen on any gun. The Hunters came in a stain finish with the usual octagon barrel. Flip up tang sight and cut on the front for a spirit level sight. The Lo-Wall came is a high gloss finish. The real issue with them is finding bases for them. Just about everybody has quit making them. I managed to get the last set of Burris bases they had in their warehouse a few years back. Leopold catalogs them, but they come with the wrong screws, and they are not smart enough to send the right ones.

Only thing close to 1885's would be a Savage 99.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.