Winchester M70 action

Well ended up telling JES I want a 1 in 14" twist 35 Whelen. I've got a friend that owns 3 and he talked me into it over the 9.3. So far I've got 50 once fired R-P 30-06 brass prepped waiting for the 35 Whelen dies. I necked them up to 338 then annealed. Stock has been bedded and refinished. I also added a M-Carbo trigger spring for good measure. Received 100 245 grn Sledge Hammers in the mail last week and have 100 Hornady 250 grn on the way. Then have a VX-6HD 1-6x24 arriving next week to top her off. My shoulder is going to be hurting!
C689D81E-3CC7-4E20-89D5-619D2BA646C8.jpeg
89919E71-80F4-49BB-98E4-DDC80A6EBE7C.jpeg
942B2D5B-3D5B-4973-984A-FE62647305C6.jpeg

Sounds like a great build. Should make the perfect all round thumper for 400 yards and under.

Well ended up telling JES I want a 1 in 14" twist 35 Whelen. I've got a friend that owns 3 and he talked me into it over the 9.3. So far I've got 50 once fired R-P 30-06 brass prepped waiting for the 35 Whelen dies. I necked them up to 338 then annealed. Stock has been bedded and refinished. I also added a M-Carbo trigger spring for good measure. Received 100 245 grn Sledge Hammers in the mail last week and have 100 Hornady 250 grn on the way. Then have a VX-6HD 1-6x24 arriving next week to top her off. My shoulder is going to be hurting!
View attachment 204224View attachment 204225View attachment 204226
Nice well worth the shoulder bruising! You just can't beat an ole CRF model 70. They may not be today's race car but they won't let you down!!!!!

Laguna, how were these old ones attached? Glue? I looked for screw holes on the back but nothing?

Look closely along the mold centerline. If I'm not mistaken there should be slots for screws. That old rubber will probably look like it sealed the slots closed. I would first try pulling the centerline apart with my thumbs where I think the screws should be. You might also use a slotted precision/jewelers screwdriver to probe for the slots.

Also, be aware that the mounting plate may be fiberglass or similar layup and the resin may have adhered to the wood. I've had to use a heat gun before on a 1956 Browning to get it to release after removing screws. In your case the old hardened rubber would have to be cut off first.

After you find the screws and remove them, if the plate is stuck to the wood, I would recommend printing the Simms templates from the website to make sure you find the right fit. I believe the 10001 will be a near perfect fit to the stock.

Btw, stock looks great! Nice work!

Last edited:
You are going to have a very nice rifle in a grate caliber/cartridge. I don't think your shoulder will be to bad. I have three different 35 Whelens and one 400 Whelen and their not bad for recoil.

Shortgrass, yeah, that crossed my mind. I necked one up to .356 using my Sinclair expander just to check that and it sat right at .012". Not ideal, but not too crazy. I usually neck turn to .0135~.014" depending on what rifle I'm using. I'll just make sure I anneal in every second firing or so and it should save the necks.

Nice job !
When you did the bedding, was the barrel on the action ?

Very nice job on the stock...looks very similar to my Sako Vixen L461 in 222 that I re-did a few years ago.
This is definitely a project to my own heart, well done using an old timer with a new leash on life.

Cheers.

JD,

Yes, I pulled the barrel after I bedded. Actually had to open the channel quite a ways to float it first. There was a crazy pressure point right before the black plastic piece on the forearm. I usually have the bedding material support the first inch or so of the shank, but for some reason this time I stopped after the lug? Cleaned it all up when I was done then I realized what I has done. I may go back and add some material to support the shank. No sure if it's needed but my customs were bedded that way so I copy?