Winchester M70 BACO Action Threading

I was going to pull my barrel tonight as the suspense is killing me, but I don't have the proper fitting for my SAC action wrench. So I had to order it.

Gunsmith couldn't get the barrel loose, did the hacksaw job to relieve pressure.
FN/BACO threads measures 1.06 28 1/2 inch of threads below, pic on left, donor gun was a 300WSM
T.P.

Attachments

• IMG_3958.jpg
    IMG_3958.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3959.jpg
    IMG_3959.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I have welded all my R700/R721/R722 barrels to large structural channels at work. Then use a wheeler action wrench. They put some nasty goup that must be thread locker or something on them. I have even broke welds trying to get them off. Not fun. Hopefully this M70 won't be bad. I would like to save the barrel.

I've messed with a few win70s. Seems like all of them are 1"x16", both push feed annd CRF. except the more recent wsm and ultra mags. When I say recent id say the last 10-12years. They did this to beef up the tenon around the chamber because they were running into over size chamber issues.

You might be able to look into one of the front scope mount screw holes to see if the barrel tenon is a fine or corse thread.

And for what it's worth, I've seen both push and crf of both thread patterns.

Last edited: