Post M70 action

Nape.270

I live in Spokane WA just wondering if there is a Smith neat by that can blueprint my action/bolt? A number or website would be nice.

Don't know of one close enough to drive to but I'd ship it to North Dakota to have Nathan Dagley true it up
Straight Shot Gunsmithing

for what it would cost to drive 50 miles their and back to drop it off then their and back to pick it up , you can ship it

Nape.270,
I vaguely remember a rifle-smith that was somewhere over near the Seattle area. I never contacted him when I lived in the Tri-Cities (last year), but I remember a name coming up when I did a Google search.
Check out Kirby Allen, he lives over in Fort Shaw, Montana. It took me most of the day to drive from Tri-Cities to Missoula on my Heavy Duty Test Truck (scales), but it was governed at 64MPH. I rested/over-nighted in Missoula and got up the next day and made the trip to Great Falls, MT. Went right by Kirby's place. The trip could be made alot faster in a POV, it's absolutely beautiful country and deer and coyotes are everywhere! He's never done work for me, but I've seen one of his AM's and he does precision work. JohnnyK.

I was thanking about going with SSG I take it u have had good luck?
I just dont want to send it to some one and and thay single point it
true the face and tell me it's blueprinted.
This is what I expect if needed.
  1. Bolt blueprinting operations:
  2. Squaring the bolt face
  3. Ensuring the bolt is concentric in the action
  4. Squaring and lapping the locking lugs
  5. Sleeving the bolt, then machining down for a precise fit to the action
  6. Receiver blueprinting operations:
  7. Making the threads for the barrel concentric
  8. Making sure the breech face is square to the action centerline
  9. Making sure the recoil lug is square to the action
  10. Squaring and lapping the locking lug recesses

That is exactly what "blueprinting" is and that generaly what should be done when that term is used , making everything back square and concentric with the bolt race way.

BUT , in order to have the bolt sleeved you should realy ream the race way to a known and accurate diameter then you sleeve the bolt to fit. This step is typicaly done by guys trying to squeeze that last little bit of accuracy out of the gun , it does make for a tighter fit in the lockup so their is a chance that a bit of dirt can freeze the action up if not carefull. I'd have the bolt and race way miced to see just how bad they are off then make the determination wheather or not to sleeve it.

Nathan is a fantastic machinest and understands what needs to be done to make a rifle shoot , I have used him for several of my last builds and can't be happier with the work , everythig is perfect.

Nape,

I can do this kind of work. PM or email if you are interested.

Cheers,

Chad

Chad Dixon
Gunmaker/BFFOC Instructor
LongRifles, Inc.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.