M70 pre 64 action

Jon2

Just interested to hear anyones experiences of rebarrelling a M70 pre 64 action. I believe the chamber has to be recessed to accommodate the extractor claw. Is this a difficult operation or fairly straight forward?

Just wondered if this presents any particular problems.

Any comments very much appreciated.

Are you changing calibers?

I was warned about feeding issues, but more info would help: what caliber you have, what caliber to go to, all the spefics.

My FFL dealer took a Pre-64 243 Win action and made a great pack rifle. His smith did a good job of chanbering it but he does share a building with the smith.

A good smith is what counts in my opinion, there are lots of them on here that will do the work for you. Or point you to a smith close to you.

Joe Oakes

DSM

The rifle is in 270 WSM and will be rebarrelled in the same calibre. Funny you should mention feeding issues. The rifle feeds flawlessly if I don't fill the mag to full capacity ie 2 rounds in the mag. With 3 it doesn't feed reliably. Is this inherent of the pre 64 action then? Interestly I was with the gunsmith who is doing the work on this rifle a few weeks ago and he was developing a load for a customer who had a Coyote in 7 WSM. He had 3 rounds in the mag and it fed 100% reliably. Notably the action was a post 64.

By the way I am resident in the UK.

The 270 WSM is a tough to feed cartridge, my Rem 700 fed like crap untill I smoothed the feed rails. I am putting in a Wyatts center feed mag box in mine to help with feeding. As far as having the extractor cut I think that it will have to be done, but I am not a smith so hopefully someone here will chime in.

Joe Oakes

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts