Win. Pre 64 Model 70 conversion(s)?

I find that people that ask these kinds of questions usually already know the answer to said question and are just looking for people to confirm their thoughts. :D

Put em in the safe. Take em out every once in a while and let em sit on the couch with you. Put em back in the safe. You may not feel that your are utilizing them, but some day someone will be so happy you left them that way. Maybe even feel some connection to a man they never even met, just heard stories about.

Thanks to everyone for your input...especially the one quoted above. The rifles are secure in my safe and will definitely spend a little couch time with me every now and then. I did suspect that these rifles were better left untouched, your comments helped me confirm this. If did consider parting with them in the future what would be the best way to go about it...insuring that they went to someone that would appreciate them for what they are, a link to a bygone era and a special man (my father) that introduced me to the shooting sports?

Trust me on this one. If someone is ever willing to pay you what they are worth, and they are worth a lot, they will be taken care of because they would have to be an idiot not to!!!

Thanks to everyone for your input...especially the one quoted above. The rifles are secure in my safe and will definitely spend a little couch time with me every now and then. I did suspect that these rifles were better left untouched, your comments helped me confirm this. If did consider parting with them in the future what would be the best way to go about it...insuring that they went to someone that would appreciate them for what they are, a link to a bygone era and a special man (my father) that introduced me to the shooting sports?

OK...so almost a year has gone by since I made the original post and the last time I laid eyes on the two rifles in the was when I had them out of the safe to shoot the photo. I've spoken to my brother and he feels that rather than having these two fine rifles just sitting in the dark recesses of my gun safe that we should consider finding them a home where they could continue to be appreciated by another deserving sole. I think I'm ready to let them go too. We think dad would agree as well.

So, with that said, can anyone out there provide me any info on fair market value? If you need serial numbers or any other pertinent info please PM me and I'll be happy to get you what you need.
highsierra

To determine the value of these, you really need to find a collector that is knowledgeable of pre-64s. They can pull the stock and run the numbers and tell you everything about the rifles including fair market value. Winchester records no longer exhist, but the book The Riflemans Rifle by Roger Rule has lots of information about pre-64s including target rifles. Years ago I collected and sold pre-64s, wish I had them all back.
db

FYI, the rifle "R-5"has a "Type III" action and was built late in the month of April, 1952. I assume this is the one chambered in .308.
db

FYI, the rifle "R-5"has a "Type III" action and was built late in the month of April, 1952. I assume this is the one chambered in .308.
db

Thanks for the info db. R-5 is the .308. According to the records I have, my father purchased the rifle in '58. I am still looking to gain some info regarding the value of these two firearms. Do you have any connections on the west coast (central california) that could help me attain an appraisal? PM me.
-HS

Never, you are sitting on Jewels, keep them in the family and teach the family how your dad shot them.
E-

Thanks for your comment...I appreciate it. Trouble is, I have a whole safe full of "jewels" from my father. Many of his rifles and handguns I use regularly and plan to for the rest of my life. Realistically, the two target rifles referred to in this thread will probably never be fired again by me or my brother. We understand their value to collectors and feel now that parting with them might just be the "right" thing to do. Who knows, maybe the funds that we attain from their sale could help us go on a dream hunt together where we reminiss about the "ol man", his passion for the shooting sports, and all that he taught us growing up. I think he would like that.

-HS

There's a web site i used to go to years ago. I believe it was oldguns.net i'll have to check, but anyway you run the serial # of old Winchester and Remingtons. Might be worth checking out.

HS,

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply anything, I am sure if someone buys them they will stay in good hands and continue your dad's shooting. Leaving them in the safe wouldn't be doing justice to them. They are collectors items but like all great firearms they should be enjoyed safely. I understand exactly what you are saying and if you and your brother go on a nice hunt I'm sure your dad would be watching you have fun. I think that's all that matters, I know the only thing that matters when I'm not here is that my kids are happy and enjoying their lives in any way that's good.

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.