Tangent rear sight for Win Model 70

Baylor243

I recently acquired a Winchester Model 70, without a scope or bases. It has a simple fixed front post and flip up rear sight. It is a more recently produced rifle, and definitely not a model of increased value. I have been waiting to get my hands on an inexpensive open sight rifle for a few years, one to put behind the seat. This one is perfect because it's not worth a lot and its a 30-06 which will do anything I want it to do as a truck gun, and then some.

My question...does anybody know of a tangent style rear sight that may replace the existing rear sight to work on this rifle? I am referring to a rear sight that slides up or down (some have notches) for different ranges. I hope I am using the correct terminology to describe the rear sight I am looking for. I have a CZ 22lr rifle with one of these, and it seems to work well enough. I just thought I might give it a try on the Winchester in hopes that it will add a little fun to the game.

I did search a bit on the web, but I figured I would ask the experts instead. Swing away.

Thanks for your help, in advance...

JM

I think you mean a tang sight. I have several that might work. You're not going to find one calibrated correctly for your ought-6 but you'll be able to have a silly long sight radius and repeatable elevation adjustments. LMK if you want to dig further into that particular rabbit hole. I'll have to check and see which ones might work with a modern tang-less rifle like an M70.

Pity, I had exactly what you need that came with my Classic Stainless in 375 H&H. It was the blued express sights with flip up rear sight blade and ivory front bead.
Had them sitting in my parts box for years, then a buddy asked about them and I drilled and tapped his custom 35 Whelen for them and gave them to him as a gift.
I do recall seeing them being sold by Brownell's or Gentry, not sure.
I would also contact Winchester USA.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.