Win model 70

Not hunting

I see very little about the Win M-70 in long range discussions. I'm assuming that Jack O'Connor's comments on the "new" push feed model 70 doom the rifle at birth where Remington's 700 became a legend even though it was design to cut production cost.

I do know Winchester is making another try with a push feed action, the model 70 XPR.

I just built a custom hunting rifle from a Rem 700 (built by guys at Benchmark), and am now itching to do another with a Win Model 70 action.....not because I don't like the performance, more because I already have the action and am hearing more and more good things about the Model 70's potential. The more I inquire about building a LR rifle with a Model 70 vs. Rem 700, the more I am likeing the feedback. The feedback I am getting is as follows (in favor of Win vs. Rem action): (i) integrated lug, (ii) flat bottoms make for better bedding surfaces, (iii) better control of rounds feeding from mags, and (iv) factory actions are constructed with tighter tolerances (or better manufacturing process that results in tigher tolerances). I am certainly no expert and understand for every one person that likes the Model 70, there is probably two people that like the R700 more.

I had an old M70 in 22-250 that I had rebarreled to a 6.5 Creedmoor. Hoping to pick it up in the next day or two. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Anyone heard of these guys?

Stumpies Custom Guns

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a Model 670 which for the most part is just a Model 70 without the bottom metal in 30-06, just because I was bored I took it to the range to shoot before I tore it apart for a new barrel.... factory ammo it grouped around 4" at 100 yards. I like to tinker and already have one rifle build going so thought I would play a little, pillar bedded the action then full bed of the action and floated the barrel and now the rifle shoots a little over 1/2' at 100 yards so doubt I tear it down now :) so I guess the 284 Win will have to wait awhile as I have a problem tearing down a good shooting rifle. The rifle I have was built in 1972. Later,

Kirk

I have a custom 22-250 with a 28" Shilen barrel that is a nail driver.
I love Winchester actions.
Thanks, Kirk

Did you just rebarrel or blueprint/rebarrel? Plenty of people tell me the actions are pretty square and only need rebarrel if wanting to change caliber. I figured I'd just have the face squared and lug ground straight (like $60 of work to action), then rebarreled.

I used as well as collected Model 70's for the bulk my hunting career. All of these rifles which were pre, as well as post 64's were used with the factory sporter barrels. While they gave excellent accuracy, and were much more appealing to me over the Remington 700, I found the latter had a wider range of specialty components available, and were an easier platform to customize, particularly as I became involved with long range precision shooting and hunting. I will say that my Rem700's as well as other brands come and go, but my Model 70's, particularly the pre-64,s will be with me till the end.
My best mulie, shown here in my avatar, was taken years ago with a Model 70 as were many of my best trophies over the last 45 years.

I just had Kyle Craig ( Craig's custom Rifles) build me a 7 mag on a push feed mod 70 and it's has shot everything I have ran through it into 1/2 moa groups! Very pleased with it!!!

I just had Kyle Craig ( Craig's custom Rifles) build me a 7 mag on a push feed mod 70 and it's has shot everything I have ran through it into 1/2 moa groups! Very pleased with it!!!

How about a picture? I've been considering having him build a rifle for me. I have a pre 64' 6.5x55 with a benchmark tube
And a McMillan stock. Still working on loads for it with 130-140 bergers. The only complaint I have about it is the bolt face is a little rough from machining at the factory it leaves marks on the brass.

Pm me a number ill send you some, posting pictures on this forum is a serious CF! I choose not to participate in.

I have a post 64 670 that I'm going to build a 6.5-284 on. Have all the parts rounded up just lack the time. I have always had a soft spot for Winchesters and have more than a few in the safe.

This particular one will be a fun before and after because it was flat out the ugliest **** rifle I have ever seen. The previous owner had sanded down the stock and left it bare and rough, installed a shotgun recoil pad and trimmed it with a chainsaw I think. The action and barrel he painted with some kind of wrinkle paint. The poor thing was in definite need of rescuing.

I see very little about the Win M-70 in long range discussions. I'm assuming that Jack O'Connor's comments on the "new" push feed model 70 doom the rifle at birth where Remington's 700 became a legend even though it was design to cut production cost.

I do know Winchester is making another try with a push feed action, the model 70 XPR.
Can't stand the push feed but I have 9 Model 70's all of which are claw extractor CRF's.

It is my preferred action period but I also own too many 700 Rem's as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.