Win Model 70 Barrel suggestions

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by HunterShooter, Oct 17, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. HunterShooter

HunterShooter Member

Hi All,

I have a Winchester Model 70 Extreme SS in a 30-06 that is only a few years old, but I reload and shoot a LOT. I think my barrel may be coming to the end it's life in the near future. I have been very happy with accuracy to this point as I am getting .3 to .5" 100 yard groups shooting Hornady ELDX in 178 grains using H4350 running at 2793fps. I have a Swaro X5 on this gun.

So, I am looking for suggestions on my options to re-barrel this gun. Are there high quality pre-fab barrels I should look at or simply go to a full gun-smith re-do? Or, the final option, do I step up to more of a semi-custom or full custom rifle?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. MagnumManiac

MagnumManiac Well-Known Member

I would go with a stainless custom barrel if it were me.
    I would also have the action blueprinted while the barrel was off.
    I work on many Win Model 70's a year, most FN made actions are very good in centre alignment from the factory.

A good quality button rifled barrel will suit your needs very well.

Hart are a good choice.

If you want the top end, go a cut rifled barrel from Bartlein or similar.

Cheers.

HunterShooter likes this.
  3. HunterShooter

HunterShooter Member

Awesome, Thanks for the info, I'll have a look at those brands!

4. TOM H

TOM H Well-Known Member

My Model 70 I had gunsmith install Bartlein SS 5r barrel, 1/11 twist @ 26" chamber 30-06. I also had McMillan stock installed. Been shooting 180gr Partition and use it on bull elk tag. I like using gunsmith and I make up dummy rds for throating. Some can make dies.

5. Iron Worker

Iron Worker Well-Known Member

My M70 Classic wears a Brux 7mm 9"twist. I bet its got nearly 1500+ thru it and its still a tack driver .I have Bartlein bbls on other rifles and cut rifled bbls rule

6. BallisticsGuy

BallisticsGuy Well-Known Member

If it's a push feed you can get a drop-in pre-fit from Columbiariverarms.com. They're simply amazing barrels. All I use in my match rifles for many years. Never a bad barrel. They can even set you up with a barrel nut so you can do the swap and setup at home.

7. Alibiiv

Alibiiv Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I always like to ask what you intend to use the rifle for, and what is the budget on the rebarrel/refurbish. If I had a 30-06 that was shooting .3-.5 inch groups at 100 yards, I don't think that I'd change anything until that spread increased; wouldn't mess with it at all. And....I do like the Remington 700ADL 30-06 as my universal, go to rifle in my safe. It's easy to load for, I don't have to mess with it, I've got what I consider a good piece of glass for the hunting that I do (Leupold VarIII 2.5-8) and I know it's always there if I need "just-one-gun".

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    xsn10s and Iron Worker like this.
  8. HunterShooter

HunterShooter Member

I was at the range today and my previously great groups are opening up. I think I am over 2000 rounds through it and today I was getting fliers opening up to 2”+ at 100 yards. This is why I am investigating my options.

9. elkaholic

elkaholic Official LRH Sponsor

2000 rounds isnt really that much for an '06. Then, you may have more than you

xsn10s and HunterShooter like this.
  10. HunterShooter

HunterShooter Member

Ya just guessing. Could possibly be closer to 3000... I’m going to shoot it more again this week when it’s dead calm to give it another try.

11. HunterShooter

HunterShooter Member

I live in BC and tend to be a single-gun type shooter/hunter. I hunt deer and bear down here but also go North each year for moose and caribou. I also like longer range shooting when not hunting.

Alibiiv likes this.