Win Model 70 Barrel suggestions

HunterShooter

Hi All,

I have a Winchester Model 70 Extreme SS in a 30-06 that is only a few years old, but I reload and shoot a LOT. I think my barrel may be coming to the end it's life in the near future. I have been very happy with accuracy to this point as I am getting .3 to .5" 100 yard groups shooting Hornady ELDX in 178 grains using H4350 running at 2793fps. I have a Swaro X5 on this gun.

So, I am looking for suggestions on my options to re-barrel this gun. Are there high quality pre-fab barrels I should look at or simply go to a full gun-smith re-do? Or, the final option, do I step up to more of a semi-custom or full custom rifle?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I would go with a stainless custom barrel if it were me.
I would also have the action blueprinted while the barrel was off.
I work on many Win Model 70's a year, most FN made actions are very good in centre alignment from the factory.

A good quality button rifled barrel will suit your needs very well.

Hart are a good choice.

If you want the top end, go a cut rifled barrel from Bartlein or similar.

Cheers.

I would go with a stainless custom barrel if it were me.
I would also have the action blueprinted while the barrel was off.
I work on many Win Model 70's a year, most FN made actions are very good in centre alignment from the factory.

A good quality button rifled barrel will suit your needs very well.

Hart are a good choice.

If you want the top end, go a cut rifled barrel from Bartlein or similar.

Cheers.
Awesome, Thanks for the info, I'll have a look at those brands!

Hi All,

I have a Winchester Model 70 Extreme SS in a 30-06 that is only a few years old, but I reload and shoot a LOT. I think my barrel may be coming to the end it's life in the near future. I have been very happy with accuracy to this point as I am getting .3 to .5" 100 yard groups shooting Hornady ELDX in 178 grains using H4350 running at 2793fps. I have a Swaro X5 on this gun.

So, I am looking for suggestions on my options to re-barrel this gun. Are there high quality pre-fab barrels I should look at or simply go to a full gun-smith re-do? Or, the final option, do I step up to more of a semi-custom or full custom rifle?

My Model 70 I had gunsmith install Bartlein SS 5r barrel, 1/11 twist @ 26" chamber 30-06. I also had McMillan stock installed. Been shooting 180gr Partition and use it on bull elk tag. I like using gunsmith and I make up dummy rds for throating. Some can make dies.

If it's a push feed you can get a drop-in pre-fit from Columbiariverarms.com. They're simply amazing barrels. All I use in my match rifles for many years. Never a bad barrel. They can even set you up with a barrel nut so you can do the swap and setup at home.

Hi All,

I always like to ask what you intend to use the rifle for, and what is the budget on the rebarrel/refurbish. If I had a 30-06 that was shooting .3-.5 inch groups at 100 yards, I don't think that I'd change anything until that spread increased; wouldn't mess with it at all. And....I do like the Remington 700ADL 30-06 as my universal, go to rifle in my safe. It's easy to load for, I don't have to mess with it, I've got what I consider a good piece of glass for the hunting that I do (Leupold VarIII 2.5-8) and I know it's always there if I need "just-one-gun".

Last edited:
I always like to ask what you intend to use the rifle for, and what is the budget on the rebarrel/refurbish. If I had a 30-06 that was shooting .3-.5 inch groups at 100 yards, I don't think that I'd change anything until that spread increased; wouldn't mess with it at all. And....I do like the Remington 700ADL 30-06 as a universal, go to rifle in my safe. It's easy to load for, I don't have to mess with it, I've got what I consider a good piece of glass for the hunting that I do (Leupold VarIII 2.5-8) and I know it's always there if I need "just-one-gun".
I was at the range today and my previously great groups are opening up. I think I am over 2000 rounds through it and today I was getting fliers opening up to 2"+ at 100 yards. This is why I am investigating my options.

I was at the range today and my previously great groups are opening up. I think I am over 2000 rounds through it and today I was getting fliers opening up to 2"+ at 100 yards. This is why I am investigating my options.
I always like to ask what you intend to use the rifle for, and what is the budget on the rebarrel/refurbish. If I had a 30-06 that was shooting .3-.5 inch groups at 100 yards, I don't think that I'd change anything until that spread increased; wouldn't mess with it at all. And....I do like the Remington 700ADL 30-06 as a universal, go to rifle in my safe. It's easy to load for, I don't have to mess with it, I've got what I consider a good piece of glass for the hunting that I do (Leupold VarIII 2.5-8) and I know it's always there if I need "just-one-gun".
I live in BC and tend to be a single-gun type shooter/hunter. I hunt deer and bear down here but also go North each year for moose and caribou. I also like longer range shooting when not hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.