will my scope get me to 1000 yards?

yotehunter243

I have a VX3 4.5-14x40mm 1" tube with M1 turrets. It is going to be mounted on a custom 6-284 that will be launching a 105gr SMK or 105gr VLD in the 3000-3200 FPS range. The scope will be on a Badger 20MOA rail. I am worried i may not have enought adjustment in my scope. Im not looking for a comp. rifle just a hunting gun and hitting still at long range for fun. I ran some numbers and it looks like i will be around 20 MOA of drop give or take at 1000 yards. This is my first real LR gun so please help.

That scope has 71 MOA according to Leupold. If 20 MOA base you should have plenty to get out to past 1000 easy.

I just happen to have one of those:D (the 6-284). I think you will find your estimate of 3000-3200 a little on the slow side (depending on bbl length). Most of us are in the 3300-3400 range with 107smk's w/26"+bbls & lapua brass. We are running COAL's of 3.0"+ (i'm at 3.100-ish) so if your running SA it would be a single shot....

Anyway, my point, albeit strung out:rolleyes: is that, thte 6-284 is a lazer to 1000yds & with a 20moa rail, you should have zero trouble reaching out there... i don't have my dope book or ballistic calculator in front of me buuutttt... me thinks MY real world dope at 1k w/100yd zero is in the 20-22moa area? Please forgive my SWAG, that is a rough estimate.... but should be very close.

PS- Easy multi-test. When you get your "load", establish your zero & just crank'er up, go to 20 or 25moa & back down again. Not only will you be able to verify your ability to reach your goal, you will also be testing your scopes ability to return to zero accurately.

thanks Outlaw, I am going to be running a 27" Benchmark barrel with a 1:8 twist on a Remmy 700LA. I had high hopes for the 105 VLD but i hear bad things about them after 3200fps. SO i have a few hundred 107SMK and a pound of H1000 to try.

I had forgotten about that, I have also heard the "Hunting" VLD doesn't like much more than 3250ish. It really won't like when your throat gets a little rough, or so I'm told.

FWIW, there are more than a few of us on here running Ramshot Magnum with the SMK.... which sits right between H-1000 & Retumbo IIRC. Seems to work good.

I cant seem to find any Ramshot powders locally. Do you think I will get the velocities I want with the H1000?

It's well worth the try. In fact my 'smith actually suggested I give H-1000 a try. If I were a betting man (i'm not because I stink at it:D), I would say yeah, you should be able to get the velocity you need w/o much trouble.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.