0 Yard to 1000 Yard Scope Suggestions

treillw

I'm putting together my first long range hunting rifle and I'm a bit puzzled on what scope to put on it. I'd like it to be adequate to shoot up to a 1000 yards, but also have a low enough magnification to not miss something when it runs up 10 yards in front of me. I was thinking a 3-20 power would be ideal. Looking around online, it doesn't seem like anybody makes them - unless you spend $3000+. I would like to be in the $2000 range. I wish nightforce made a 3-18 or something - their 5 power seems a little much for animals at a close range running through the brush. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm putting together my first long range hunting rifle and I'm a bit puzzled on what scope to put on it. I'd like it to be adequate to shoot up to a 1000 yards, but also have a low enough magnification to not miss something when it runs up 10 yards in front of you. I was thinking a 3-20 power would be ideal. Looking around online, it doesn't seem like anybody makes them - unless you spend $3000+. I would like to be in the $2000 range. I wish nightforce made a 3-18 or something - their 5 power seems a little much for animals at a close range running through the brush. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I have http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...w-ballistic-e1-ffp-reticle-130833/index6.html for under $700 on my .270 AI and I am very pleased with it.

I'm putting together my first long range hunting rifle and I'm a bit puzzled on what scope to put on it. I'd like it to be adequate to shoot up to a 1000 yards, but also have a low enough magnification to not miss something when it runs up 10 yards in front of you. I was thinking a 3-20 power would be ideal. Looking around online, it doesn't seem like anybody makes them - unless you spend $3000+. I would like to be in the $2000 range. I wish nightforce made a 3-18 or something - their 5 power seems a little much for animals at a close range running through the brush. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I like to hunt with 3.5 x 14 x 50 with a 30 mm tube. this gives me plenty of power for the long shots
and lots of MOA adjustments because of the 30mm tube, and on 3.5 or 4 power running targets are not a problem.

The higher power scopes normally have 5.5 to 8 power on the low end and are great for the longest shots but are almost worthless and really hard to acquire a target on close or running shots.

The only scopes that will focus at 10 yards are normally below 2.5 power and have very little top end power. (4 to 7 normally).

The best compromise would be a 6 x 18 or similar , but it would probably need 25+ yards to focus on the lowest power.

Hope this helps.

J E CUSTOM

I like to hunt with 3.5 x 14 x 50 with a 30 mm tube. this gives me plenty of power for the long shots
and lots of MOA adjustments because of the 30mm tube, and on 3.5 or 4 power running targets are not a problem.

The higher power scopes normally have 5.5 to 8 power on the low end and are great for the longest shots but are almost worthless and really hard to acquire a target on close or running shots.

The only scopes that will focus at 10 yards are normally below 2.5 power and have very little top end power. (4 to 7 normally).

The best compromise would be a 6 x 18 or similar , but it would probably need 25+ yards to focus on the lowest power.

Hope this helps.

J E CUSTOM

Lots of good advice here.

I like a 2.5-10, 3-12 or 4-16 on hunting rigs. Seems like of you step above these power ranges things like prices and weight go up exponentially.

My favorite "long range" hunting scopes are a NF NSX 3-15 F1 and 4-16x42 ATACR.

I'd love to have the S&B 5-20x50 Ultra Short scope they have, however I can nearly get 2 of the 4-16 ATACRs for the cost of one S&B. Don't get me wrong, I have several S&B scopes I truly enjoy and love shooting. Just don't see near $2k worth of difference between the ATACR and S&B when compared side x side.

I agre, it would be nice if the NF was a little more powerful, but really I've engaged steel targets out to 1500 yards very comfortably with the 3-15 & 4-16 power range scopes.

Good luck. The search is nearly as much fun as the shooting. Even though somewhat frustrating.

Lots of good advice here.

I agree, it would be nice if the NF was a little more powerful, but really I've engaged steel targets out to 1500 yards very comfortably with the 3-15 & 4-16 power range scopes.

What does the magnification "need to be" for shooting an animal (Deer, Elk, Bear) at 1000 yards?

High power makes a huge difference target shooting...hunting big game not so much.
12 to 15 power on the top are more than adequate for your application. IMO

A lot of long range hunters use the lower end of the scope magnification to take big game at long range. I do most of my long range shooting with the scope set to 6x or 8x. Reason is you need a wide field of view to spot your own shot and make any corrections needed. And if the first shot is not the finishing shot, you need to get back on target quickly. Most don't dial their scope up to 22x so all they see is hair in the scope. Just not how it works. The suggestion for a 3.5-14x50 with 30mm tube was a very good one.

You should check out the Leupold VX6 3-18x50. I have this scope mounted on my 338 RUM long range hunting rifle and am very happy with how it's performing. The optics are great, it is relatively light weight and you can get it with a nice and simple TMOA reticle that is very effective for holdover shots.

Most don't dial their scope up to 22x so all they see is hair in the scope. Just not how it works. The suggestion for a 3.5-14x50 with 30mm tube was a very good one.

I have never shot over 300 yards, so I have no concept of what things look like through the scope at that range and what magnification is needed. That being said, your time and knowledge is very appreciated!

Sounds like the Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 would pretty much be perfect for my needs then? I know Nightforce has a very good reputation. Is it worth checking anybody else out? I would like the scope to have the tactical adjustment turrets for wind and elevation.

March 2.5-25x42 $1951.00 at bullets.com Plenty of power when you want/need it and down to 2.5 power for up close. Light weight, plenty of adjustment range and tactical knobs with fantastic clicks. I have one and love it (along with it's 2.5-25x52 big brother).

March 2.5-25x42 $1951.00 at bullets.com Plenty of power when you want/need it and down to 2.5 power for up close. Light weight, plenty of adjustment range and tactical knobs with fantastic clicks. I have one and love it (along with it's 2.5-25x52 big brother).

Just looked at this scope at the site you provided. Very good looking rig with an insane power range! And a weight that's almost 1/2 pound less than many of the comparable scopes from the makers of similar products.

I see if interested buyers are military, active or veterans and law enforcement, March offers a one time 20% off coupon for products purchased through that site.

Sounds like a pretty good deal.

How is the glass and build quality when compared to nightforce? Again, honestly don't really know much of the difference between a "good" scope and "bad" scope. Thank you - it's definitely worth checking out.

Good tip on the 20% off too chopper.

March scopes have superb glass. They are built by hand by a very limited number of engineers and quality is as good as it gets. They may not be as durable as a Nightforce and most scopes fit in this category. I am a Nightforce fan in the tactical and target area (own 3 NF scopes) but for me they are simply too heavy for lugging up and down mountains. You will be hard pressed to find a better scope than a March and no other top line scope offers a 10:1 zoom ratio. Only problem is trying to go back to a lesser scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.