0 Yard to 1000 Yard Scope Suggestions

What does the magnification "need to be" for shooting an animal (Deer, Elk, Bear) at 1000 yards?

What ever you are trained and comfortable with,

+1! That means 1000-yard shot efficiency does not happen overnight - PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE ...

Our snipers used to (perhaps some still do) have a fixed 10X scope on their rifles.

I harvested my MT bull elk in 2013 at 931 yards at 14X.

Some, like Dave Gullo can do 1000+ yard shots with open sights ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM?t=3[/ame]

lightbulbKeep it simple for now and enjoy the learning process. The sooner you decide on a scope the sooner you get out to the range and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE ... lightbulb

Believe me, this not going to be your last scope decision to make or any LRH/S related issues. :):D:cool::rolleyes:gun)

I was using 20 power and 32 power scopes when I first started shooting 1000 yards. Now I use a 14 power and my buddy went from 32 power to a 10 power. And we both are completely satisfied with the lower power scopes.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.

An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Guns have only two enemies, rust and politicians

Know Guns,know peace,know safety.no guns,no peace,no safety...

The second amendment is in place in case the politicians ignore the others

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

To all of the above...AMEN!

+1! That means 1000-yard shot efficiency does not happen overnight - PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE ...

Our snipers used to (perhaps some still do) have a fixed 10X scope on their rifles.

I harvested my MT bull elk in 2013 at 931 yards at 14X.

Some, like Dave Gullo can do 1000+ yard shots with open sights ...

https://youtu.be/YRaRCCZjdTM?t=3

lightbulbKeep it simple for now and enjoy the learning process. The sooner you decide on a scope the sooner you get out to the range and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE ... lightbulb

Believe me, this not going to be your last scope decision to make or any LRH/S related issues. :):D:cool::rolleyes:gun)

8x Unertl on a Win. Mod. 70-30/06 in 66-67 RVN. Worked well!

I agree that with hitting game out to 1000 yards the size of deer, bear, and elk can be achieved with lower magnifications(10-15x). Your choice of power range, particularly on the low end depends on the type of habitat that you most frequently will hunt. I think that choosing the optic should be based upon the most demanding shot you are likely to encounter. I ended up going with a 5x20 for my versatile scope which can be shots from 50-1000 yards. The high end magnification isn't required to hit game at long range, but can be very helpful during the seconds that precede, and during the shot. The added magnification can help discern any differences in wind activity at target, interfering brush, other animals in the background, or just making sure you are on the right animal. I have also been able to see on several occasions, the very subtle movement/reaction of the game on bullet impact, thus confirming a hit. Just some thoughts.

March 2.5-25x42 $1951.00 at bullets.com Plenty of power when you want/need it and down to 2.5 power for up close. Light weight, plenty of adjustment range and tactical knobs with fantastic clicks. I have one and love it (along with it's 2.5-25x52 big brother).

I'm interested in the March scopes, but can't find any local stores to take a look at them. Bullets.com does not allow returns. Any ideas?

I'm interested in this one (Tactical 3x - 24 x 52mm FFP):
http://marchoptics.com/#/products/d24v52fml

Where do you live? Bullets.com has a store on the west coast and one in Missouri. I live in western Kentucky and would be happy to let you take a look through my March scopes if that was convenient.

Thanks for the offer SCF. I live near Pottsville, PA. I am mostly interested in seeing the different reticles March has to offer.

I am interested in the 2.5x25x42 & 52 mm SFP and the 3x24x42 & 52 FFP.

Anyone local have one that I can check out, or have any other ideas?

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.