Scope for 1000 yards

I guess that if you are taking head shots at prairie dogs the 1/8" clicks would make it easier. I took it for granted that you would be hunting bigger game. :D

joseph

For hunting bigger game you'll have no problem. I target shoot with my 308, so precision is key. As for bigger game you'll have no problem, just don't forget about knock down power at further distances.

I feel the opposite.

The less clicks the better. I'd like 1/2 moa adjustments. I think if I am good enough to shoot within a 1/2" I probably am shooting pretty good. Or maybe I should practice more.

I agree less clicks is better. That's why I've spent the extra for a left handed 20MOA scope base. I've also zeroed my rifle at a further distance. If you know the average distance you will be shooting the zero at that distance. That equates to less time to dope your scope. Less human error. If I was to do it over, I'd get a scope with 1/8" adjustment knobs at 100yds.

I own several 1000 yard benchrest rifles with 20 MAO bases, but I've never heard of a left handed one ? I'm curious what is the difference ? I thought a 20 MOA base was a picatinny base that tilted down towards the muzzle at 20 MOA regardless of right hand or left handed
action.

I own several 1000 yard benchrest rifles with 20 MAO bases, but I've never heard of a left handed one ? I'm curious what is the difference ? I thought a 20 MOA base was a picatinny base that tilted down towards the muzzle at 20 MOA regardless of right hand or left handed
action.

I'm waiting to learn something new also. :D

joseph

Me too.

I'd guess he typed fast and left out it's on a left handed bolt gun?

MOA rail can be any degree right, 20 seems to be the most used?

Didn't mean to toss a curve ball with the left handed base. Just saying I'm a south paw and everything costs a little extra for shooters like me. If you don't believe me just try to find a model 700 short action, left handed, 20 MOA, black scope base. Their about $100 and very few places have them.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.