Good entry level scope for 1000 yards

Weblake

I am having a 6.5x47 lapua built and I was wondering what a good scope would be to put on it without spending 1800$ on a nightforce. I will probly be shooting out to about 800 to 1000 at the absolute most. Thanks

Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 $460
Burris Fullfield E1
Bushnell Elite 4200
Weaver Super Slam

There are tons of great scopes in the $400-$600 range

I would like to keep it under 7 or $800. Is there any scopes out there at that price with a zero stop?

I am having a 6.5x47 lapua built and I was wondering what a good scope would be to put on it without spending 1800$ on a nightforce. I will probly be shooting out to about 800 to 1000 at the absolute most. Thanks
millet trs-1 300$

lrs-1 450

I have the vortex razor 5x20 hd. My shooting partner just got a ffp 6x24 vortex viper for mid 800 out the door. my scope cost 2 times his and his scope rocks! we shoot elr to 1200 and further and he has no problem. Lots of moa elevation adjustment

Cruise the Optics for Sale section here & on SnipersHide, etc. You can stumble across some darn fine deals on high end optics from Leupy, NightForce (where I got mine) & even USO, S&B etc (last two are still +$$).

Your rifle is only as accurate as your optics, I know thats been said before, but I'll say it as many times as it takes. don't scrimp on your optics, just because they look "clear" doesn't mean they track like a high end scope (the things your eyes can't see).

For example, with a 100yd zero my RUM is ~7mils to 1k yds or 7.1 (can't remember exactly) :rolleyes:. If you dial in the 7 mils exactly, but your scope doesn't track like your dials say (say +/- .2mils), the only thing good glass is going to do is help you see your miss. If it's off by .2mils (going extreme here) @ 1k, is it going to return to zero correctly? Who knows?

I'm not trying to bash or trash the optics listed here, some of them hold a good reputation. But, there is a reason people spend as much (if not more) on their optics as they did on their rifle. Is it necessary for a "steel whacker"? No. Is it necessary for a dedicated Long Range Hunter? Yup, every penny.

Do your homework, read reviews, talk to the guys who have been there/done that like you're doing now.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.