MOA scope base cant for 1000+ yards

sar57112391

I'm shooting between 800 and 1500 yards. FPS = 2800 using .338Lapua Mag. with a 300gr. bullet comming out of a 32" barrel. Having a scope with a range of 100 MOA elevation, which MOA scope base would be wise? 20, 30 or 40?

For the parameters you supplied you would not need more than a 20 MOA base. Even at 2000 yards in standard air density you are less than 90 MOA from a 100 yard zero. A 20 MOA base may yeild 10-20 MOA of unused turret when at 100 yards. So you may or may not need more to make 2000 yards but youre good to make 1900 yards using a scope with 100 MOA of adjustment and a 20 MOA base.

BTW, Welcome to LRH.com!

In my experience, you center your scope vertically and horizontally. If your scope is set up properly, and things go as supposed to, you will loose between 3 and 5 moa to zero at 100 yards; that means you would have about 45 moa left of vertical adjustment. If you add a 20 moa base, you would then have 65 moa left for vertical adjustment.

My 300 RUM has a 20 moa base and I'm using them zee rings with 20 moa inserts for a total of 40 moa. My scope has 90 moa of total adjustment /2 =45 - 5 = 40 + 40 = 80 moa of usable vertical adjustment. If I get lost in spinning my turret, I go all the way down then back to zero and I'm in business!

I don't get it...When ever I've gone to buy mounts and rings for a rifle they don't indicate 20 MOA, 30 MOA or anything. They just have low medium and high, and I figured that just determine how high the scope sits off the receiver and barrel.

I have guns with both single piece and 2 piece mounts, and neither said anything about MOA. These have been Leupold bases for the most part.

The stores where I bought either the scopes or guns have mounted them for me, so I've never had to confront this issue. Now I'm building up a 7mmRM that I want to shoot out to 1000 yards and maybe more if possible so I need to know more about this 20 MOA base stuff.

Anybody care to explain?

Stores don't usually carry them. You have to order them.

Unless your talking about the Burris sig rings but even then you have to order the offsets.

....rings not withstanding,

......a 20 MOA rail is just that. The rear of the rail is a bit thicker than the front of the rail. I don't have the thousands specificarion close at hand but I believe a 20 MOA cant rail is around 0.017" thicker at the back than at the front, in other words tapered towards the front when sitting atop the receiver and 30 MOA is 0.027" or thereabouts.

EGW (Eveloution Gun Works) makes a variety of MOA cant rails for various rifles. I believe Midway sells their line.

EGW is an OEM supplier of parts to Savage. You'll find EGW rails and muzzle brakes on Savage rifles in various calibers.

Not familiar with the Burris rings or the inserts. I use Warne maxima or Talley one piece.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.