Wildcats and the Kahn at 1 mile plus....

[ QUOTE ]
There is one other thing that you might be interested in. After reviewing the tape of our shoot, I began to notice that the bullets that landed right usually also landed low, and the bullets that went left usually always landed high. Then it dawned on me that I had read about this before and had just forgot about it in the excitement of the day. It is called the Magnus effect.

[/ QUOTE ]

GOLLY GoodGrouper - I suggested that's what caused your first shots being on the left. See my post at just a tad low an left
Magnus is more commonly referred to as <font color="red"> Spin Drift </font> in tactical corners. I've been debating <font color="red"> dean michaelis </font> one of the worlds leading experts on this topic (and Coriolis effect) at the Biggerhammer.net Barrett and 50 Cal Discussion Forum site
Turns out Dean was right and I was wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was hoping you could shoot your gun due north, then due south ( 2000+ yards ) and measure the Coriolis effect. Normally only artillary worries about Coriolis.

The best info I've found on these topics is the excellent How do bullets fly?

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red"> That's one demerit for goodgrouper. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="black">

OK that brings you down to about 2,999 merits /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'll still buy u a cheese burger next time I'm in Provo. Maybe the BYU physics lab will loan us their 50 foot pendulum. (which shows the Coroilis effect ) But I think you should still do the shot North, Shoot South Coroilis test to try it. You will need low/constant winds to make the test valid.

[ QUOTE ]
But I think you should still do the shot North, Shoot South Coroilis test to try it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man I would love to, but finding a safe place to shoot bullets at 2k is hard to do. My 2k range is shooting almost straight north, so now we just have to find a south range with a good burm.

[ QUOTE ]
You will need low/constant winds to make the test valid

[/ QUOTE ]

That might even be harder to do! Anybody got a good indoor mile range?

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe the BYU physics lab will loan us their 50 foot pendulum. (which shows the Coroilis effect )

[/ QUOTE ]

Never hurts to ask. Is it portable? How do you know they have one? Just curious.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it portable? How do you know they have one?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not portable. It's a clock that works by the Coriolis effect. It's in the main entry of the eyring Science Center. I worked in the physics lab 81-84 before they chased me out for having my fiance in my room and asking to many questions about early mormon history /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The top image is the pendulum swinging. the bottom image is a side view of the clock/bowl protecting the swing pendulum. I hangs from a pendulum wire about 36' high.
bottomRight.jpg

inside.jpg

On Coriolis, how are you proposing to measure it with a due north vs due south shot?? As I understand it, all deflection in the northern hemisphere will be to the right for some value regardless of direction of departure (other than due east or due west which will suffer from either lenghtened or shortened target distance and apparent deflection high or low). Any trajectory at other than 0, 90, 180 or 270 degrees true suffer a combination of right and high or low deflection. (Southern hemisphere suffer leftward deflection vice rightward.) A north and south shot would still be deflected right and the amount of delection would vary only by a small amount unless the shooter swapped places with the target in which case there would be no difference at all.

Your thoughts on this.

OK, I got out the beach ball and you're right.

<font color="red"> New test. </font> Lets raise money and send goodGrouper down under to do the test /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Beachball!!! I've been using an orange, it sure would have been a lot easier in the earlier "just figuring this out days" to have used a larger "earth". DUH!! on my part.

You can still run your/a test of sorts (as long as the wind cooperates). Have a shooter-to-target bearing of 000 true or 180 true for a series then switch to bearing 090 true or 270 true. On a theoretical target I believe we'd observe a right shifted group for the 000 and/or 180 and a high or low only group for the 090 and/or 270. Real world target results could/would vary but it might be nice to try. If the thing (experiment) worked out you'd have your empirical Coriolis deflection at both extremes. We'd need the latitude coordinate for the shot(s), both shooter and target so GPS fix would be good, elevation is also needed so we can calculate incline fire angle. Oh!, and we need to turn off the wind for the duration of the experiment.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.