300 RUM, 210 Berger at 1 mile?

durak

Going to push the 300 RUM out to a mile - I've been shootong the 210 Bergers with great success to 1200yrds. The Berger will be running at 1198 fps and 663 ft-lbs at that distance. Question is would the heavier 230 give better performance at 1 mile with it's higher BC? Has anyone shot the 210 at a mile? If so, what were your results? Thanks....

Never shot the 210's that far, but ballistics coefficient of the 230 will definitely be an advantage at that distance. It will carry more velocity, and buck the wind better. .631 vd .711 BC, it isnt much better but will show at that distance.

Going to push the 300 RUM out to a mile - I've been shootong the 210 Bergers with great success to 1200yrds. The Berger will be running at 1198 fps and 663 ft-lbs at that distance. Question is would the heavier 230 give better performance at 1 mile with it's higher BC? Has anyone shot the 210 at a mile? If so, what were your results? Thanks....

I'm curious how you're getting Berger 210's to 1198 fps at a mile. Barrel length? Elevation? Pressure? Load? Seating depth?
I have a 30" Hart barrel 300 RUM and I've not gotten that even shooting at 5000' elevaton.

I'm curious how you're getting Berger 210's to 1198 fps at a mile. Barrel length? Elevation? Pressure? Load? Seating depth?
I have a 30" Hart barrel 300 RUM and I've not gotten that even shooting at 5000' elevaton.

The G7 ballistics calculator says that is what my velocity would be - it has been accurate up to 1200 yards so far. I'm running a 30" barrel and from what I've been told and seen it's shooting a little faster than most. I live and shoot at 5000 ft with around 15% humidity most of the time. Seating depth is what fits in my Wyatt box!

The 230gr shows @ 46.5 MOA correction, 1495fps, and 1142 ft-lbs at 1 mile. This is assuming that I get 3150 fps @ muzzle. I've shot some 228gr "specials" at that velocity. I just ordered a box of the 230gr Match Hybrids, .743 G1 BC - I'll get a load worked up and see what the actual muzzle velocity comes in at.

I hate messing with a good thing, the 210's shoot awesome and I've got them figured out. But I want to have every advantage I can get at 1 mile......

3150 fps from a 30" barrel with a 300 RUM with 230 grain bullets?

The only way you'll know how it will shoot at a mile is to try it. Bring a spotter. At mile it's difficult to tell where bullets are impacting and wind deflection makes it difficult achieve useful accuracy. You know that but anyone needs practice at that range to shoot well. Doping wind is different than at shorter ranges. I only know enough to begin to know how little I know about it.

Last edited:
Well, went to a mile today - didn't work out like I would have wanted, but I learned alot. As it was said before, practice! The target was on a hillside with snow and mud so seeing the impact was difficult to say the least. My 3 spotters were having a hell of a time! After about 10 shots I called it quits due to the wind was starting to gust in several directions.

I switched to the 230 gr Berger Hybrid. Over 87 gr of H1000 it shot an avergae of 3066fps. Acurracy is on par with my 210's at under a 1/4" MOA. At 1k my 210 MOA correction is 17.5 - the 230's came in at 18! This really suprised me. They also buck the wind ALOT better at 1k than the 210.

Overall it was a great day of shooting. With a little more practice maybe I'll get there!:D

Well, went to a mile today - didn't work out like I would have wanted, but I learned alot. As it was said before, practice! The target was on a hillside with snow and mud so seeing the impact was difficult to say the least. My 3 spotters were having a hell of a time! After about 10 shots I called it quits due to the wind was starting to gust in several directions.

I switched to the 230 gr Berger Hybrid. Over 87 gr of H1000 it shot an avergae of 3066fps. Acurracy is on par with my 210's at under a 1/4" MOA. At 1k my 210 MOA correction is 17.5 - the 230's came in at 18! This really suprised me. They also buck the wind ALOT better at 1k than the 210.

Overall it was a great day of shooting. With a little more practice maybe I'll get there!:D

Very interesting task you've taken on. Amazing! I know there are some higher BC .338 match bullets available out there. Have you looked at them? Target practicing at 1 f--king mile - that's cool as heck. I would love to see that. Good luck.

I've shot the 210s past a mile many times. The 230's offer a significant advantage. Switch!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.