Berger 210 VLD & 300 RUM

Varmint Hunter

I have been trying some Berger 210 VLD bullets in my 300 RUM with a 27" Broughton 5C barrel. So far the best groups are running about .75moa @ 200yds. Not too impressive.

Given the usual understanding that every rifle is unique in its preference for certain loads:

What powders have been providing the most consistent results (with the 210 VLD) and how far into or off the rifling has worked best?

VLD's typically like to be jammed. I would start at say .010" and move toward .020" in. Let me know as I am going to be trying this same combination myself soon. The 216gr clinch river pills are too hard to come by, so bergers may be what I use.

I just started shooting the 210 VLD's in my .300 Weatherby 5/5 Pac Nor 25.5 in .925 turn neck chamber. I shoot them at 300 yards and the last time to the range I shot 3, 3 shot groups all were under 2.00 inches. This was on a hot day (slight boil mirgae) and I think I am responsible for at least 1/2 inch of the dispertion.

I shoot 80.0 of 7828 right on the lands and grooves, mabe .0010-.0050 into them, it is hard to tell with the very shallow lead in my throat.

I am going to try Retumbo and H1000, I think those powders would work well in your 300 UM as well. I think 7828 would be a little slow with this bullet in you rifle, it is mine.

I loaded 30 rounds last night same load, except 15 or .010 shorter than the above load and 15 more are .010 shorter than that.

I also have some 210 VLDs to try. I have a proven sub MOA rifle. 700 with a 28" #4 Shilen select match bbl. I've had plenty of success with the 200 AB and 180 Scirocco. I will be trying H1000, Retumbo, Re25, WC 872, US869.

I'm thinking the first 2 will be what I end up with and possibly the Re25 as it has been a proven, repeatable tack driver with the Scirocco and AB bullets.

I may also try VV N165 and N560 since I have plenty on hand. I will start with bullets touching the lands.

88-89g of H-1000 worked great out of my 700 LSS in 300 RUM. Velocity was 3K and accuracy was .5-.75 MOA to 800 yards. Bullets were seated to touch the lands.

Also tried Retumbo and got decent results, but not as good as the H-1000 load.

I was going to try seating depth using the berger 210. How do you know when you have seated the bullet close to the lands or into the lands?

I was going to try seating depth using the berger 210. How do you know when you have seated the bullet close to the lands or into the lands?

I am sure that there are many tools that work well for this. I use a Stoney Point (now owned by Hornady) OAL guage and a Stoney Point bullet comparator. They are very easy to use and seem quite accurate with a little practice.

Will a regular 300 ultra mag case work to find the oal for my 300 tomahawk..or do I have to use a fire formed case for this ?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.