300 RUM 210 Berger velocities

Long Time, I tried the 208 Hornady, but when I went to the Berger, my groups were reduced by 1/2 or more in size. How do you set up the 208 in your gun? Also, can you tell me how the 208 works on game?

For those of you who are shooting 94 Grains of Retumbo, Are you at or near Max Load? Or, is this more of a moderate load? I just bought a 300 Ultra sendero and am looking to receive 300 rounds of 210's shortly. I can hardly wait to get started with it. Finding this post has been brought anticipation of good things to come.

I would say that I might could go up to 96 grains with Retumbo, but the 94 grain load is hot enough that I don't need anything the other two grains would give me. I have excellent accuracy and plenty of speed right where I am.

Thanks Gary. I am not looking to push this thing to Max. I just wanted to know where this load fit in its range. I noticed that several of you have had great luck all within .5 to 1 grain of each other. Looks like a trend. Sounds like a good place to start.

FireCat, if I remember correctly from looking at what Berger recommends, 94 gr. Retumbo is the max load for the 210's. And I would recommend starting 5% back of that and work your way up and see how the pressure affects the cartridge in your gun. Every gun is different and it's better to be safe than sorry. Sorry to get off subject, I just would hate to hear about something bad happening.

Scott

I think 90 grains would be a nice place to start. There are just too many variables in atmospheric conditions, barrel twist, barrel bore diameter, chamber dimensions and lots of powder to feel safe starting out where I and others worked up to.

Scott and Gary. You are absolutely correct. I would always consider starting 5 - 10% lower than anyone else's published load that is not in a manual and is not max in the manual. When I said that it sounds like a good place to start is that many are having good luck with that particular charge and I would be willing to go through the work up process to see if it works for me before trying a different powder like H1000 or RL25. Retumbo seems to give good results in the 300 rum and was the powder I wanted to try first. I appreciate you looking out for others and seeing that safety is our first priority. You're welcome around my fire anytime.

I was getting right at 3k with the 210g VLD and Wildcats with 89g of H1000. Accuracy was very good for me as well from the stock rem 700 LSS w/26" bbl. 15" gong at 1K didnt stand a chance...

Guys,

What are you COAL's? That can make some difference in this discussion and help us compare 'apples to apples' better.

I wish I was getting the fps you guys are. I'm at 94.7g Retumbo, ~3.842 COAL (~ due to meplat differences in the Berger HP...4.103 using comparator based off ogive), and no where near the velocities you guys are getting. 26", 1-10 twist, -.010, 2993 fps. 'Bout 1300 down the tube, so a little loose. Plenty of room in the case for more, but this load is so drop dead (pun intended) accurate, that I hesitate to change anything. Be find for deer/elk out to near 1K. Last group shot with had 3 out of 4 at 1.5" at 628 yds and right on the bull, so Exbal seems to agree with the fps. Using Litz's velocity banded G1 data.

Wish I was getting 3100+, but really don't 'need' it.

Jon

My OAL was 3.8" from case head to tip of bullet. Had to use as a single shot which didn't bother me for target shooting, but for a hunting rifle, no thanks...

I eventually settled on the 200g AB. Dont give up to much in BC for very predictable on game performance every time, and I could push them to 3200fps at 1/2 MOA and was able to use it as a repeater, kinda no brainer to me!

Just weird...why am I so much slower than everyone else? I'm feeling a little left out here! :D:D :rolleyes: Oh well...it hit what it shoots at when I do my part, and that's the main thing and it seems to be very easy on the brass, so that's another +. If I want to kill something over 1K, the 338AX will come out of the safe.

Just off the top of my head, I think my base to ogive measurement is 3.86, and I can put one in the chamber and one in the top of the mag, making mine a two-shot repeater. Not too many times I can get something done with four that isn't done by two.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts