WildcatBullet 338 cal 350 gr elevation at 2000 yards ???

BB,

If you stand up an 8' sheet of plywood "plumb", at 100 yards, then get your rifle locked down solid at the bench, you can dial the full range of vertical turret adjustment to determine if it tracks a plumb line, and thus would shoot along a plumb line, saving you ammo and inconsistancies due to wind at 400 yards. (Also you'll see if your vertical hair remains vertical when you get it tracking a plumb line, something necessary for using holdover type reticles. The other thing that's easily done is to check the calibration of eack click and MOA at the same time. If your turrets are calibrated correctly, 1.0472" per MOA will show up as a clear 1/2" gain for every 10" the crosshairs move down the plywood. In other words, you dial 10 MOA and your reticle moves 10.5", 20 MOA and it moves 21", 80 MOA and it moves about 83.75" and so on. It's pretty simple to check and with most rifles using over 20 MOA to get to 1000 yards, you can see that a turret that is calibrated in inches and not MOA would be 1 MOA off, and that's over 10" at 1000 yards. Also, for "every" 20 MOA dialed in order to zero for a 2000 yard shot you'd be off 20". Any error that exists in turret calibration could leave you ****in in the wind if you don't know how much error is involved.

If your rifle groups real well, getting shots to read over a chrono at 1000 yards isn't really too difficult (if you're carful) but, a video camera focused on the down range chrono display is a must of you want to match up the same shot numbers with those on the muzzle chrono.
Sure beats running back and forth to the target chrono after each shot to see if it registered.

[ QUOTE ]
Or you could just buy a Kestrel hand-held, two Oehler 35's, and/or a Model 43 and be done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

if you happy with this stuff why not but dont forget that will be very strange to get real metrology result in the aim to compute something near the true with generic hobby design /portable equipement
I doesn t write that Oehler is junk , that good equipement for private handloader but that far to equal or beat the quality and the level of accuracy of laboratory equipement which cost thousands of $

if you sucess to shoot in a Oehler 35 screen at 1000 yards with 100% of result and without put a bullet in the chrono I agree that way to follow but I far prefer my impact panel of 40 inch x 40 inch ( 1 meter square ) and Oehler made professional stuff ( mod 82 ? ) for real military /factory use .

for information the Counter timer HP5328a ( a great classic product ) was and still the tools for STANAG/NATO ballistic test

I plan to purchase a HP5371a to get the best in test equipement

good shooting and enjoy real engineering facts

Note : my english is not prefect so if someone have problem to understand I can redone the explain

DAN TEC

Eric,

Hope you and yours are well mate!!! Will have to talk with Lee, sounds like you need a couple young trigger pullers, hah..

You'll have to let us know your results, and hey, your english is better than mine...

Jeremy

Good info!

I agree, 100 yards is better.

[ QUOTE ]
If you stand up an 8' sheet of plywood "plumb", at 100 yards, then get your rifle locked down solid at the bench, ..and inconsistancies due to wind at 400 yards...

[/ QUOTE ]

Any wind at all and a 4'x8' sheet of plywood won't be plumb. At most I'd rip a 6" wide strip to put on the 4x4, but why not use just a 4x4" ( 3 ½ "x 3 ½" ) – you should be able to hit 3 ½".

[ QUOTE ]
Any error that exists in turret calibration could leave you ****in in the wind if you don't know how much error is involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, my point exactly.

[ QUOTE ]

If your rifle groups real well, getting shots to read over a chrono at 1000 yards isn't really too difficult (if you're carful)

[/ QUOTE ]

You're talking an exceptionally low extreme spread, no wind. I think I'll work on my ballistics pendulum (using a video camera to get vertical). Probably won't work, but it's text book hi-skoul physics

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.